Does this matter? Waveforms................

I'm quite used to seeing those types of waveforms RAMI. When I use Waverepair to restore vinyl LPs I often increase the magnification of the view so that I can do a little manual editing and redrawing.I start with what you normally see, increase to around the more squiggly of your 1st images to look for deformations/clicks/pops etc and sometimes go as far in as your very 1st screen to do microsurgery.
Attached is a file run through the stages I mentioned.
View attachment 91880

Ray, that's not really the issue. I can get my waves to look like all of that. The problem is how my first wave form is smooth and the second one is blurry or shaky. It's two different looks.

No, it's not clipped. I just made the waveform as big as possible. It's nowhere near clipping.

Like I said, I made the screenshot too big. If you slide the bar at the bottom of the actual post with the screenshots, you'll see where I circled the bass drum hits. Or, just smallerize the page and you'll see it.

Then it doesn't matter IMO. Nobody is going to ask for this screen shot while they listen to the song, so if you have decent ears and you can't hear it, and it doesn't seem to be effecting anything, then who cares? Visually, I think it looks like maybe you got some corruption in the file, or maybe just in the waveform preview. I've had it happen a couple of times where the waveform preview did something that looked like that, so I removed the region from the session, loaded it back in and it didn't have the visual anomaly.

Then it doesn't matter IMO. Nobody is going to ask for this screen shot while they listen to the song, so if you have decent ears and you can't hear it, and it doesn't seem to be effecting anything, then who cares?
Really? Hey thanx a lot, man. I thought that it really mattered how it looked, and everyone listening to the song would see it and care and make fun of me. What a relief.
Visually, I think it looks like maybe you got some corruption in the file, or maybe just in the waveform preview. I've had it happen a couple of times where the waveform preview did something that looked like that, so I removed the region from the session, loaded it back in and it didn't have the visual anomaly.
No, that's not it. But thanx.

Really? Hey thanx a lot, man. I thought that it really mattered how it looked, and everyone listening to the song would see it and care and make fun of me. What a relief. No, that's not it. But thanx.

Glad to clear that up for you. I was just offering my honest opinion. Did it look that way when you recorded it, or did it show up later?

Glad to clear that up for you. I was just offering my honest opinion.
Hehe....I ain't hating on you, man. But, after 6 pages of discussion and people trying to figure it out, you coming in and playing Mr. Obvious is kind of funny. We all know "it doesn't really matter if it sounds good, blah blah blah....". But I think that 6 pages answers the question of "Who cares?". We were just trying to figure out why it's happening. Just because something isn't the most important thing in the world, doesn't mean it's not fun to sit around try to figure out why it's happening.That's all. :cool:

Last edited:
Hey RAMI, I was looking at drum wave forms the other day using Audacity.
You can see here the phase is slightly off which I believe is due to mic placement.
But anyway, Audacity is a great app for looking at wave forms.
You can zoom in all the way to a single sample for aligning things.
The first shot is a snare hit and the second is the same hit at the beginning and zoomed in close.

Attachments

• Snip1.PNG
    Snip1.PNG
    15.7 KB · Views: 16
  • Snip2.PNG
    Snip2.PNG
    7.3 KB · Views: 16
Back