Does this matter? Waveforms................

Actually, I'm not so sure any more, LOL. I just did it again and the wave forms looked the same. But I might have screwed up along the way. I'm too lazy to do the whole copying and pasting and opening new projects again right now. I'll try to confirm it again tomorrow. In the mean time, in case that wasn't the solution, if anyone else thinks they might know what it is, lay it on me.

Thanx.

Normally, when you see more quiggles, it means that there are more high frequency harmonics. But if it sounds the same, it's just a graphic issue, not a sound one.

Only thing I noticed was that the grid mark difference on the square wave was .003 seconds or thereabouts and on the squiggly wave was .006... but I've never seen a waveform go block as I've scrolled in, so it wouldn't be that...

Maybe there's some setting somewhere that affects the "granularity" of the waveform display at a project level.... it's clearly not just the OV / overheads, all the tracks have it... the two Git tracks look pretty blocky too, clearly something like a drum would be blockier than a guitar, but you can see it's there.

How's the Reaper Evaluation Licence working out for you RAMI? ;) :D

Love trying to figure these kinds of problems out. Looks like I arrived too late.

Now, pony up a few bucks and pay for that software. :D

Only thing I noticed was that the grid mark difference on the square wave was .003 seconds or thereabouts and on the squiggly wave was .006... but I've never seen a waveform go block as I've scrolled in, so it wouldn't be that...

Maybe there's some setting somewhere that affects the "granularity" of the waveform display at a project level.... it's clearly not just the OV / overheads, all the tracks have it... the two Git tracks look pretty blocky too, clearly something like a drum would be blockier than a guitar, but you can see it's there.

How's the Reaper Evaluation Licence working out for you RAMI? ;) :D

Yeah, I'm still evaluating it. :D It's really just a matter of getting around to paying for it. I'm lazy, not cheap. I've spent about $3000 on equipment in the last year, so another $60 isn't going to kill me. Just got to get around to doing it.

As far as the waveform is concerned, anybody's waveforms would get big and square like that if you maximised the view vertically and horizontally. I'm not worried about that. I'm concerned with one being "furrier" than the other.

I had thought the Clean figured it out, but then I wasn't sure. But now I'm beginning to think he WAS on the right track, it's got something to do with the options.

Check your settings here in the two projects... see if there's a diffierence mebbe?

Preferences Media Appearance - CockosWiki

That really helps a lot. I think it has something to do with this. Those different views and options are probably the key to the answer.

---------- Update ----------

Love trying to figure these kinds of problems out. Looks like I arrived too late.

Now, pony up a few bucks and pay for that software. :D
I will. Once I finish ovulating it. :D

---------- Update ----------

Just for interest, this what I work with. The fuzziness is bleed from bass and guitar

View attachment 91810

Right. That's how my waveforms usually look. But if I had kept them like that, you guys wouldn't have been able to see the difference between the 2.

Last edited:
I think it's to do with this setting. (See image below) When you zoom far enough in, in track view, you can change the way the waveform is displayed. I remember with older versions of Reaper it looking more like your screenshot but now it doesn't seem so harsh when changed.

I would think that the settings for the files are saved in the .rpf files of your old project and carried over from a previous version of Reaper which is why you see it different. I don't have any old mixes at hand to check right now, but I will have a look later.

I may be wrong though. :thumbs up:

Untitled.jpg

I think it's to do with this setting. (See image below) When you zoom far enough in, in track view, you can change the way the waveform is displayed. I remember with older versions of Reaper it looking more like your screenshot but now it doesn't seem so harsh when changed.

I would think that the settings for the files are saved in the .rpf files of your old project and carried over from a previous version of Reaper which is why you see it different. I don't have any old mixes at hand to check right now, but I will have a look later.

I may be wrong though. :thumbs up:

View attachment 91814

Yeah, I'm pretty sure you're on the right track with all that. I tried changing some things and some things made a difference and some didn't. But it's not affecting the sound, so I'm pretty sure it's just a visual thing. Which setting, that's still to be determined, but it's most probably just visual and nothing else.

I think the wiggly waveforms are in projects set to "Stepped samples", and the squarer ones are set to "smooth", or something along those lines.

Just to put everyone's mind at ease that was so concerned about the size of my waveforms, this is how they usually look. But had I posted them like this, nobody would have been able to see what I was talking about:

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    306.7 KB · Views: 99
Yeah, I'm still evaluating it. :D It's really just a matter of getting around to paying for it. I'm lazy, not cheap. I've spent about $3000 on equipment in the last year, so another $60 isn't going to kill me. Just got to get around to doing it.

LOL - I'm the same with a couple of evaluation plug-ins that I really should sling the maker some shekels for... problem is the recording PC isn't generally connected to the 'net and when the "Pay me!" prompt comes up I can never find the wireless dongle or I'm not connected at my main connection, or, or , or... and I just think "Next time..." :D

I believe that background noise in the studio can make a waveform look all squiggly like that. For example, there is a big oil burning furnace (high BTU, forced air,) right next to my studio room. In the dead of winter, if I am recording anything acoustic, I need to wait until that big damn thing shuts off before I hit record. Otherwise, I'll have a higher noise floor on my tracks which looks like your squiggly ones.

Thanx guys. Mr. Clean's on it. Much appreciated.

And Clean also figured out the problem. I can't believe it, man, you're a genius. That's all it was. I opened a older tune with the square, defined waveforms, copied the overhead track, and then pasted it into a new project. Sure enough, it got squiggly, but sounded the same. I guess what I thought was "blurry" and "squiggly" is really just a more detailed waveform, kind of like higher resolution. That's awesome. Learn something new every frickin' day. Thanx man.

Thanx guys.

Eu-fucking-reka!

I would have said that it was getting moldy.

I believe that background noise in the studio can make a waveform look all squiggly like that. For example, there is a big oil burning furnace (high BTU, forced air,) right next to my studio room. In the dead of winter, if I am recording anything acoustic, I need to wait until that big damn thing shuts off before I hit record. Otherwise, I'll have a higher noise floor on my tracks which looks like your squiggly ones.
Hmmm....Never though of that. I don't have anything going on in the background, or at least nothing that wasn't there when I had no squiggly waveforms. I wonder if sympathetic ringing from the toms while playing the kit can do it, but even that is no worse now than it was before. You still might have something there, though.

But this is an overhead mic, right? What else is going on with the kit? Are there more cymbals in the second one?

But this is an overhead mic, right? What else is going on with the kit? Are there more cymbals in the second one?
No it's just a random bass drum hit that I circled. But it doesn't matter what I circled, the whole track is smooth and defined in the first, and the whole track is blurry and squiggly in the second one.

I'm quite used to seeing those types of waveforms RAMI. When I use Waverepair to restore vinyl LPs I often increase the magnification of the view so that I can do a little manual editing and redrawing.I start with what you normally see, increase to around the more squiggly of your 1st images to look for deformations/clicks/pops etc and sometimes go as far in as your very 1st screen to do microsurgery.
Attached is a file run through the stages I mentioned.
View attachment wave form view.pdf

Back