Do I need new audio-interface here ?

Gillette

Hi :)
I’m thnking of upgrading my PC- setup for recordings (mainly voice and guitars, some vst’s for effects, background music..)

Until now I’ve recorded my voice with one dynamic mic (SM58).

Since it doesn’t have much power, (and I cannot sing loud late at night :o ) I’d like to try a condensor microphone but my current audio-interface doesn’t have a phantom power. :(

My question is:
- Is it ok just to get some tube condenser mic (as I understand, they don’t need phantom power because they have their own power supply and they are more sensitive for quiet voice)?
- or it’s just better to go with „regular“condenser mic + phantom power (some preamp)?
- or – to get new audio-interface with phantom built in.

Just to mention that my audio-interface is a little bit weird stuff.
It’s a midi keyboard with audio-interface built in.

I’m kind of used to it, and would like to avoid a new audio interface (with all possible problems that are going with it: new learning curve, new drivers etc..)

On the other hand, it does have some noise issues with Amplitube or GR (maybe because it’s 16-Bit, I don’t really know) so if the new interface would solve all that, then I’d rather get another one. :rolleyes:

Otherwise, I don’t have any latency problems now..everything with my DAW’s works just fine.

I’ve posted another topic somewhere, but the more I learn about this, the more questons are coming so I hope someone will take some time to give me advice what to do.
The whole idea of upgrading my "home studio" started with a condenser microphone and recordings, so I thought this is the right place to ask.
Thank you ! :)

here are some specs of my actual audio-interface:
Built-in Audio Interface:
16-Bit, 44.1 kHz, 2-in, 2-out audio interface
XLR microphone input, 1/4” instrument input, and stereo RCA inputs
Two rear-panel 1/4” main outputs
Two front-panel 1/4” headphone outputs
Dedicated Instrument and Microphone gain control knobs with signal and peak LEDs
Direct Monitor knob for near-zero latency monitoring

You can get pretty decent interfaces with phantom power relatively cheaply these days. If you are going to be doing more recording, then this is a good path to follow.

You need a new interface. Nobody should have to record in 16-bit these days.

There are a lot of good interfaces with the same capabilities you already have plus phantom power.

You need a new interface. Nobody should have to record in 16-bit these days.

There are a lot of good interfaces with the same capabilities you already have plus phantom power.

I see, so maybe that's the reason why I have some noise with Amplitube?

My PC runs Windows 7 Ultimate, hope it'll be compatible with some new interface

I suspect the interface in your keyboard is similar to those found in low-end USB mixers. Get a proper AI. Tube mics need good mic preamps.

I see, so maybe that's the reason why I have some noise with Amplitube?

My PC runs Windows 7 Ultimate, hope it'll be compatible with some new interface
The noise could be from many causes, not necessarily the bit depth, but I would expect less noise in a newer, dedicated 24-bit AI.

You can check OS compatibility on the manufacturer websites. Most, if not all, current models should still be supported on Win7 (64-bit). I just checked Focusrite's Scarlett series, for instance, and they are. I wouldn't wait until Windows 11 to make a decision/purchase because eventually the oldest OS gets dropped. (Focusrite doesn't support Vista, for instance.)

P.S. Do not upgrade to Win10 if you've got an older W7 system (IMO) - that upgrade, besides taking me from W7 Ultimate to a Home version of W10, broke a significant app and after a few automatic upgrades declared both internal and external optical drives faulty and refused to work! The notebook runs Linux now and the drives are fine, of course, but I lost a lot of work because of the upgrade, which would not revert, of course, after the automatic updates. Grrrr. (Mac-only user now for all a/v stuff.)

I suspect the interface in your keyboard is similar to those found in low-end USB mixers. Get a proper AI. Tube mics need good mic preamps.

Could be.
At the time it was promoted as the "All in one solution" for composers, to record some music ideas etc.

As for tube mics, I really don't know anything about it, exept that they sound "warm", and that have been used a lot in older music production (which I like)

But I've found somewhere that tube mics don't need phantom power, because they has power supply on their own

So I hope some tube mic will work fine with let's say..Focusrite 2i4 or Audient id14..:confused:

The noise could be from many causes, not necessarily the bit depth, but I would expect less noise in a newer, dedicated 24-bit AI.

You can check OS compatibility on the manufacturer websites. Most, if not all, current models should still be supported on Win7 (64-bit). I just checked Focusrite's Scarlett series, for instance, and they are. I wouldn't wait until Windows 11 to make a decision/purchase because eventually the oldest OS gets dropped. (Focusrite doesn't support Vista, for instance.)

P.S. Do not upgrade to Win10 if you've got an older W7 system (IMO) - that upgrade, besides taking me from W7 Ultimate to a Home version of W10, broke a significant app and after a few automatic upgrades declared both internal and external optical drives faulty and refused to work! The notebook runs Linux now and the drives are fine, of course, but I lost a lot of work because of the upgrade, which would not revert, of course, after the automatic updates. Grrrr. (Mac-only user now for all a/v stuff.)

No, Win7 works just fine for me. And I know, the noise is an issue for itself, and could be anything, but I have some guitar amps and they works fine, with no noise or with very little noise (depending on different pedals I use and so on), so I reckon it must be the interface and that 16-Bit thing..

Could be.
At the time it was promoted as the "All in one solution" for composers, to record some music ideas etc.

Marketing-speak doesn't always reflect reality. But, it may have be an all-in-one solution for dabblers.

As for tube mics, I really don't know anything about it, exept that they sound "warm", and that have been used a lot in older music production (which I like)

It sounds like marketing-speak strikes again.

But I've found somewhere that tube mics don't need phantom power, because they has power supply on their own

Most contemporary interfaces will supply phantom power, so that is not something you need to worry about too much. It is not a sufficient reason to get a tube mike. It would not be too hard to find a dynamic mike that would deliver better results than a tube mike,

Most contemporary interfaces will supply phantom power, so that is not something you need to worry about too much. It is not a sufficient reason to get a tube mike. It would not be too hard to find a dynamic mike that would deliver better results than a tube mike,

I don't worry about that.
What concerns me is the possible conflict between the two interfaces.
If I connect my old interface to the new one (midi in) it will act just as an midi-controller, right?

Which means that I should unplug its usb cabel from PC..:confused:...which means that it'll lose its standalone digital-piano option..? :(

which means...I just don't know what to do..:facepalm:

What concerns me is the possible conflict between the two interfaces.
If I connect my old interface to the new one (midi in) it will act just as an midi-controller, right?

Which means that I should unplug its usb cabel from PC..:confused:...which means that it'll lose its standalone digital-piano option..? :(

which means...I just don't know what to do..:facepalm:
I tried to see if you had posted the actual model of keyboard you are using, but I couldn't find it, and I'm not sure what you mean, exactly, by "digital-piano." A digital piano, to me, means MIDI. If you mean an electric piano with digital components, but outputting an analog signal, then you should have a line/instrument-amp/headphone out that you can send to the interface, as well as the MIDI connection, to record the keyboard's analog output that way.

Or maybe I'm confused by what you are asking.

Thank you Keith for your time

This is my keyboard
20100125173015.jpg

and the actual setup

20160817011121692.jpgSada.jpg

all I want is to keep all the funcionality that my old interface-keyboard has, and just to add the new interface to it, with some new and hopefully better options, like phantom power (so I can add a condenser microphone) and less noise for guitar..

Also there is a question of speakers which should be connected to the new interface (which means that I'll lose the option to hear the onboard sounds from M-Audio)
Or I must have two sets of speakers for the whole thing..

I mean, if I connect this M-Audio to the new Audio interface with just a midi cable, than M-Audio becomes just an midi keyboard, and whenever I want to practice piano, I'd have to turn on PC, then DAW ,then some piano vst's etc..
Now I can just turn keybord's swich On and play (because it has it's own piano, electric piano, organ sounds etc)
And the speakers are connected to it.
If I disconnect USB from PC I'm losing all that, right?

Last edited:
Thank you Keith for your time....
all I want is to keep all the functionality that my old interface-keyboard has, and just to add the new interface to it, with some new and hopefully better options, like phantom power (so I can add a condenser microphone) and less noise for guitar..

Also there is a question of speakers which should be connected to the new interface (which means that I'll lose the option to hear the onboard sounds from M-Audio)
Or I must have two sets of speakers for the whole thing..

I mean, if I connect this M-Audio to the new Audio interface with just a midi cable, than M-Audio becomes just an midi keyboard, and whenever I want to practice piano, I'd have to turn on PC, then DAW ,then some piano vst's etc..
Now I can just turn keybord's swich On and play (because it has it's own piano, electric piano, organ sounds etc)
And the speakers are connected to it.
If I disconnect USB from PC I'm losing all that, right?
Disconnecting the USB doesn't break the keyboard's ability to act as an electric piano/organ, but if you have a separate interface, yes, you will probably want to have a separate set of monitor speakers for it, i.e., if you want to continue to listen to your keyboard just in a standalone mode. (It's not clear to me whether you ever record the piano in an analog mode with it the way it is, or if it's always just creating a MIDI track when you record with it.)

Now, most DAWs will allow you to specify different input and output devices, in which case you could use the new interface as an input device and the (still USB connected) keyboard's interface for output. This could create some additional latency, though, so I'd want to test that before assuming it will work satisfactorily. If it works, then problem solved!

Finally, some interfaces have a direct monitor option. With one of those, you could take the analog out of the keyboard into the interface, connect the speakers to the interface, and use the direct monitor switch to let you hear the keyboard using only the interface. Of course, if the interface was bus-powered, you'd still need to have your computer turned on. (Who turns their computer off? ;))

Thank you man, I'd really like to avoid two pairs of sepakers :)

So, basically..it all depends on whether the USB cable will stay connected or not.

And that "analog out" of the keyboard to the interface? It sounds like best idea (I'am sure I've seen somewhere Audio interfaces with that direct monitor option..) but I'm not sure where is that analog out at my keyboard..and which cables should be used for that?

Maybe where it says "Output R/L Mono"? (although I thought it's for speakers..:confused: )

Thank you man, I'd really like to avoid two pairs of sepakers :)

So, basically..it all depends on whether the USB cable will stay connected or not.

And that "analog out" of the keyboard to the interface? It sounds like best idea (I'am sure I've seen somewhere Audio interfaces with that direct monitor option..) but I'm not sure where is that analog out at my keyboard..and which cables should be used for that?

Maybe where it says "Output R/L Mono"? (although I thought it's for speakers..:confused: )

They are 1/4 unbalanced t-s connections Its line level. The problem with that connection is that some monitors introduce ground loops with this connection. Other than that its ok.

Technically you don't need to buy an interface unless you are tired of recording at 44.1K. A good mic pre that you could connect to the xlr input would be a Studio Projects VTB1 (which is a spin-off of the UA710 design).

They are 1/4 unbalanced t-s connections Its line level. The problem with that connection is that some monitors introduce ground loops with this connection. Other than that its ok.

Technically you don't need to buy an interface unless you are tired of recording at 44.1K. A good mic pre that you could connect to the xlr input would be a Studio Projects VTB1 (which is a spin-off of the UA710 design).

To be honest, I don't really know what it means to "record at 44.K"..
I use Reaper, it works fine with any vst's or effects. Never recorded something with more than 8 or 9 tracks.
The only problem I had is some noise while recording electric guitar direct trough M-Audio input

here's how it sounds
Noise by Gillette Wilkinson | Free Listening on SoundCloud

and the other problem is condenser mic that I wanted to try, but M-Auido doesn't have phantom power.

To be honest, I don't really know what it means to "record at 44.K"..
I use Reaper, it works fine with any vst's or effects. Never recorded something with more than 8 or 9 tracks.
The only problem I had is some noise while recording electric guitar direct trough M-Audio input

here's how it sounds
Noise by Gillette Wilkinson | Free Listening on SoundCloud

and the other problem is condenser mic that I wanted to try, but M-Auido doesn't have phantom power.

I meant recording at 44.1K sampling rate.

The sound could be the pickups reaction to the room's interference or even a cheap guitar cord. That mic pre might provide you with a better instrument input for your guitar (because its circuit is more like the input of a guitar amp). But if its your pick ups doing that no di is going to screen it out.

Sometimes, things are trail and error especially when it comes to unbalanced connections.

I also want to tell you that a mic pre on an interface is not always better than a separate mic pre. And I find the mic pre's that are on these "below $500/channel interfaces" to be not as good as a separate mic preamp and the interface mic pre to work better as a line stage.

I meant recording at 44.1K sampling rate.

The sound could be the pickups reaction to the room's interference or even a cheap guitar cord. That mic pre might provide you with a better instrument input for your guitar (because its circuit is more like the input of a guitar amp). But if its your pick ups doing that no di is going to screen it out.

Sometimes, things are trail and error especially when it comes to unbalanced connections.

I know what you mean, but believe me, I have 7 guitars, and it's always the same noise like that.

Interesting but I have no any noise with my guitar amps, that are plugged in the same room. They are deed quiet, so I thought it must be something with the intervace itself..

I also want to tell you that a mic pre on an interface is not always better than a separate mic pre. And I find the mic pre's that are on these "below $500/channel interfaces" to be not as good as a separate mic preamp and the interface mic pre to work better as a line stage.

At first I was indeed thinking of getting just one good mic preamp, the separate one, not built in interface.
But the more I was into the "matter" the more complicated it became, especially with my wish to to solve that "guitar noise" problem too, hopefully with some interface with good preamps and with no noise.

Back