Do I need new audio-interface here ?

With all due respect to the guy from Thomann, the manual says you have to use the computer to set the mode and DSPs in the interface, which I infer to mean you need to use the computer to unset them.

Oddly, to me at least, the 18i8 does not have a panel switch/knob to control direct monitoring, while the 2i4 does, but the 2i4 runs on bus power, so you need the computer to be on!

Do you miss those effects when you play your piano in standalone mode today? Do you add effects when you record your piano? (I've never had an interface with built-in effects so can't comment on their usefulness. I either use a pedal in front of the amp, or use FX in the DAW when recording.)

P.S. You might post your specific use case on one of the Steinberg forums and see if there's anyone there who is doing what you want to do, and can explain how they make it work with the interface you are looking at.

Nope, I wouldn't use any of these effects.
Just wanted to hear piano.
The piano itself has some reverb (sustain pedal) and chorus and thats about enough.

I could leave the things as they are now, but that means that if I'd want to use condenser microphone, I'd have to use it with the new interface, and to unlug speakers (which are connected to the keyboard now) and to plug them into new interface,

Or to get one more set of speakers too, (one pair for each interface) which is insane..

Jus to say thank you for all advices :)

Just bought Steinberg UR44, and it works just as I needed to (as a standalone AI)

Back