Do I need more gear to set up my condensor mic?

valerievalentin

I just got my first mic ever, the AT2020 Condensor XLR Mic, and my first audio interface, the Lexicon Alpha.

However, I just realized my mic needs phantom power, and that my chosen interface doesn't supply it. So I did a little research, and now I've just dicovered something called a pre-amp. Ok, do I need that? I'm just planning on recording some vocal demos with this mic to send to my producer... if we like a tune we will rerecord in her studio in LA, so this doesn't need to fancy and cost me a fortune, it just needs to work, and not sound awful!

So whats the deal, do I need a pre-amp, or can I get away with just getting a phantom power source. What are your recommendations for those please, I have no idea, :(

Miroslav saves the day!

Congrats on that first mic - you must be excited :D

I remember my first mic. Ahh...

Miroslav saves the day!

Congrats on that first mic - you must be excited :D

I remember my first mic. Ahh...

Yeah, thanks! Been waiting years for this moment, and it was totally ruined by lack of power... haha. Have decided to go with a presonus tube pre-amp that my producer reccomended. Its like 80 bucks, not too bad.

Anyway, thanks for all the help!

xx

The mic input on your interface is a preamp. Adding another is a little redundant except you can use it to make a line input take a mic. At that point you could have two mics as long as one didn't need phantom. Add a phantom power supply and you could use two condensers.

I would just return the Alpha and get an interface that met my needs.

^^^^

What boulder said. Get rid of the AI and get one that has phantom power. And if your "producer" "recommended" you buy an $80 presonus tube pre, fire him. You'll thank me later...

I concur just snag a phantom power source. Here is a cheap one.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Nady-SMPS-1X-Phantom-Power-Supply-180162-i1372258.gc?source=4WWRWXGP&gclid=COTprsLyp7wCFZRr7AodVgkAug&kwid=productads-plaid^65673249162-sku^180162.001@ADL4GC-adType^PLA-device^c-adid^27114512442

I have a couple of presonus tube preamps. They are terrible, don't buy one. Actually don't buy any "tube pre" really they are all gimmick.

I go with boulder and armistice - get rid of the lexicon and get an interface that has a phantom power supply included. Adding more cheap gear into the sound chain is never going to be the best solution.

I go with boulder and armistice - get rid of the lexicon and get an interface that has a phantom power supply included. Adding more cheap gear into the sound chain is never going to be the best solution.

I've seen his interface for as little as $30 though. I'm assuming he doesn't have a lot of money to shell for a new interface.

I've seen his interface for as little as $30 though. I'm assuming he doesn't have a lot of money to shell for a new interface.

Once he buys a phantom power supply or external preamp and the cables it starts looking like less of a good deal. There's a saying over on a "pro" sound site, the wrong piece of gear at the right price is still the wrong piece of gear.

Back