Do I need a mixer?

mjamed

I am only interested in recording a couple of acoustic guitars and a couple of vocal tracks on my songs. I am using a very simple mixer (no tweaking, no effects, 4 channels input and one output) this mixer is hocked up to my computer then I modify the mix using Cool Edit pro.
I need to get modify the different tracks before they’re mixed on my pc (cause I won’t be able to edit tracks separately by then). For e.g. I want the guitar track to sound different than the vocal track.

So Do I need a mixer to do that? Or is it possible by cool edit?
If yes, is Mackie 1202-VLZ pro the best option? Mackie CFX12? Or?

No you don't "need" a mixer. You can mix completely in the software. Now a good mic preamp on the otherhand is absolutely nessassary.

sounds like the first thing you need is a multi input soundcard...so that you can record a couple of tracks into CoolEdit, and be able to play with them seperately in software.

There are lots of options out there from maudio, aardvark, etc. without breaking the bank.

If the mixer you have (the preamps you are using), don't have seperate outputs though, that won't do you too much good.

For around $500 or less you can get an Aardvark 2496 soundcard system - which uses a "software mixer" (gain adjustments etc. are all done through the soundcard drivers)...it has 4 inputs (with xlr preamps roughly equiv. to Mackie XDR).

That would allow you to stereo mic a guitar, and have two vocalists - and record all of that to seperate tracks in Cool Edit. Then mix from there with the software...

Much better bang for your buck at this point than what a Mackie mixer would get you.

Back