Do I need a mic preamp???

FUNKY

Hi pals
I have a AKG c3000 mic and I use it thru my Soundcraft Spirit Folio F1 mixer..

My question is: Do I have to use external mic preamp or is it ok only to use my mixer to do that..

if I need one, then please suggest me one of those "low-budget" mic preamps which will do the job..

P.s. I'm located in Macedonia, so please point me some of the dealers or suppliers in my nearby..I can't afford those shipping $ and taxes in case of ordering it from US,England and so..

Please mail me as soon as possible..
Thanx FUNKY

Greetings Funky. No, you don't "need" an external mic pre. The pre's in your Mixer will work like a champ. One question; does that model of mixer have insert points or direct outs on the channels with mic inputs? If so, that's where you would want to grab signal for recording purposes if you're recording one pass at a time.

Two things: What's your soundcard? And have you got the gain trim set properly on that mixer? Even a tasty mixer with too much gain on the mic and the faders set low to compensate will have some funky noise.
I bought a pre before I bought a mixer and I still think the pre is quieter than the mixer but I have 16 channels on the mixer and two on the pre and the mixer only cost me twice what the pre did. Either one will do the job.
Another big jump in quietude was the leap from a Soundblaster to a GINA soundcard. Nowadays there's plenty of other soundcards that can rate with GINA.

EXPLAINING ..

Hi everyone

Here's my setup..
I have SB Live Platinum card & Spiritfolio mixer I told you about.I'm running my AKGC3000 mic thru the mixer and go thru line-in of the soundcard..
I'm using only one channel on the mixer for the recording ( only for mic recording), the other channels of the song I am running thru the computer mixer cause I'm doing a hard-disk recording..
I think the noise and some kind of distorsion ( really small) or how can I say, bad sounding of the mic is cause I'm doing something wrong..
Can you tell me what setup or rewire-ing to make to do a good vocal recording..
I used Boss compressor/limiter as a preamp but it was hell noisy..brrr..
What do you recommend me guys, what to do?
Also give me some tips about the other mixer channels..Should I run every channel thru the mixer?

I a real newbie in this recording techniques so I need your help ..

Cheers
FUNKY

Why are you using the Boss comp/limiter as a preamp???? Looking at the specifications of your mixer it say's "6 or 8 Mono Channels with high quality UltraMic™ mic preamps." Maybe I'm missing something????????

hey funky, i listened to 100% funky at mp3.com and if thats what you are currently doing for vocals thats really good. You should forget the BOSS completely, you will do better without it as its not really that high quality. however i use the soundblaster live as well for my line in source right now, and i can say that it is very quite. if you run your mic into the mixer and then that out of some line level output on the mixer into your soundcard it should sound good.

Back