Do I need a DI box?

There isn't any ground loop between the bass and the mixer. Can't be. The buzz comes from the fact that it's a single coil pickup. You could try shielding the cavities in the bass with aluminum or copper foil or conductive paint, but it can only help so far.

but many pedals can be used as level boosters etc.. for ex: boss line selector pedal can be used passively as a booster for even 2 output lines..

so what kind of signal do pedals outputing?? and tell me more about that impedance thing pls.

whats gonna happen if i use any fx pedal to that passive bass?? it will act as a active DI?? whats the output? can i connect it to a line inputs on a mixer or souncard? or to a hiZ input on a souncard??
thank u.
A passive pickup needs a high input impedance in order to pass all of the treble that it can. The input of any pedal designed for guitar or bass will give you this. The output of a pedal doesn't have the inductance that the pickup does, and is usually much lower impedance overall, and will almost always work just fine feeding the impedance of most modern line inputs, or any "instrument" input. Direct connection to some of the lower-Z mic preamps might be an issue, but often also works just fine. Note that if you're running the pedal from an AC adapter you might end up with a ground loop there, but not if it's running from a battery.

Level is really a separate issue from impedance. You will likely want to add gain somewhere along the line, and it usually is a good idea to get that gain as soon as possible in the chain. A passive DI is the exact opposite of gain, and most active boxes (I think) run unity at best, which is the same thing you'll get from a decent buffered pedal (unless it's a booster of some sort). Either way, you end up having to get the gain at the mixer or some other later stage.

thats the fucking mystery, dude!!!! i only now found that these pedals output a bit different signals..
and i wanna find how different can they be and how to learn to read and understand the specs!!!what to look for..
i dont need u to do a work for me. if u dont know answers, just go smoke your cigar!.. thanks

Well...you seem to get caught up in looking for ways NOT to do or use what everyone else does when interconnecting audio gear and passing audio signals. You were doing the same in another thread.
Plus you get way too caught up in specs minutia.

Here's the answers:
Just stick a DI box in-between your guitar and mixer/interface.....done.
If the mixer/interface has instrument level inputs....then use that.....done.

Go play. :)

In this instance, all the pedal dors is act as a buffer. It keeps the line input of the mixer from loading down the pickups, making them sound bad.

Pedals still output an instrument level signal. Some can add boost, but most don't when they are bypassed.

Instrument levels generally fall somewhere between mic level and line level, so if you are lucky and your pedal can give you clean boost, it will work well for you.

Right on time. Must be that time of the month again. Musicwater's spewing his crap, and this richard specimen is wasting everyone's time and acting like an idiot again. Looks like I need to disconnect again for a few weeks. Too many idiots taking over this site again. Happens like clock work every 4 weeks. :eek:

A passive pickup needs a high input impedance in order to pass all of the treble that it can. The input of any pedal designed for guitar or bass will give you this. The output of a pedal doesn't have the inductance that the pickup does, and is usually much lower impedance overall, and will almost always work just fine feeding the impedance of most modern line inputs, or any "instrument" input.

so the pedal with gain/boost knobs acts kinda like an active DI adding gain, and it can be pluged into almost any line input and hiZ input???...

Level is really a separate issue from impedance. You will likely want to add gain somewhere along the line, and it usually is a good idea to get that gain as soon as possible in the chain. A passive DI is the exact opposite of gain, and most active boxes (I think) run unity at best, which is the same thing you'll get from a decent buffered pedal (unless it's a booster of some sort). Either way, you end up having to get the gain at the mixer or some other later stage.

and the pedal like reverb that has no boosting/gain is kinda like passive DI that can be pluged into almost any line input or hiZ input as well??

In this instance, all the pedal dors is act as a buffer. It keeps the line input of the mixer from loading down the pickups, making them sound bad.

Pedals still output an instrument level signal. Some can add boost, but most don't when they are bypassed.

Instrument levels generally fall somewhere between mic level and line level, so if you are lucky and your pedal can give you clean boost, it will work well for you.

ye .. more or less its an instrument level... thats why they dont bother to write about pedal's output in specs.it only says that input is 1Mohm and nothing about output... :
bosshmsspecs.jpg

so that buffer allows to plug many things into line inputs and hiZ inputs.. well thats the interesting way of experimenting for new sounds... and ways to record kinda directly..
i will try all that stuff and compare these recordings to so called ordinary ways.. will see..
thanks

Last edited:
Right on time. Must be that time of the month again. Musicwater's spewing his crap, and this richard specimen is wasting everyone's time and acting like an idiot again. Looks like I need to disconnect again for a few weeks. Too many idiots taking over this site again. Happens like clock work every 4 weeks. :eek:

do u fuckin know what the word 'nonsense' means???? for me its when something is so absurd that dont even fall into the bad humour cathegory...
so maybe its enough of your shit??

do u fuckin know what the word 'nonsense' means???? for me its when something is so absurd that dont even fall into the bad humour cathegory...
so maybe its enough of your shit??
No, actually it's enough of YOUR shit. Don't accuse me of bad humour, I wasn't trying to be funny. I'm guilty of enough bad humour on my own. I don't need you to make it up for me. :D

its not a threat.. its just a fact.. dont be afraid, my dear..

i found a line in my notes:
To take the signal of an instrument to line level an active DI (Direct Injection or Direct Input) Box is required.

wtf?? isnt the DI used to take the signal to a balanced mic signal???

its not a threat.. its just a fact.. dont be afraid, my dear.

It's got nothing to do with fear....rather the stupid comment you made here on an audio forum.

i found a line in my notes:
To take the signal of an instrument to line level an active DI (Direct Injection or Direct Input) Box is required.

wtf?? isnt the DI used to take the signal to a balanced mic signal???

OMFG....how complicated does this have to be.....?

Guitar/Intrument---> DI box----> Preamp Mic Input/Preamp Line Output---->

I can't believe anyone's falling for this. He's deliberately trolling and having a laugh at our expense. Nobody can be this stupid and still be able to use a computer.

Guitar/Intrument---> DI box----> Preamp Mic Input/Preamp Line Output---->

ofcourse.. sorry.. its just too much info in the last days.. game of words..my head spins from unnesessary bullshit on the web..
just an accident.
and thanks!
p.s. i gathered lots of useful info to my notebook.. things r coming to a clear state.. soon i will be a fucking sound engineer,.. literally.. :)

---------- Update ----------

whos that barry??? can i read his stuff??

Back