diy soundproofing

InexperiencedPA

So, I was wondering what people did in regards to soundproofing. When I'm recording, I have nothing going on, because I'm too lazy to either purchase some materials or do a DIY project to make a small booth, or whatever. Thing is, I generally get a good, clear sound when I'm recording (albeit, a good clear sound w/ reverb instead of adding it post-mix), so I'm wondering if there would be any benefit to improve the acoustic treatment? My bedroom is really large, carpeted, and not a very live environment. Anyway, I was hoping to get people's thoughts on this. If I were to construct something, what's a decent makeshift thing I could construct?

I think you are asking for sound treatment, soundproofing is pretty hard to obtain.

nothing but MASS soundproofs.

make sure that is what you use.

also, make sure you are asking the right question.

the web is full of DIY sound treatment suggestions and materials.

nothing but MASS soundproofs.

make sure that is what you use.

also, make sure you are asking the right question.

the web is full of DIY sound treatment suggestions and materials.

I guess what I'm asking for is anecdotal advice, like first-hand accounts of what works well, what doesn't work well, etc.

So, I was wondering what people did in regards to soundproofing. When I'm recording, I have nothing going on, because I'm too lazy to either purchase some materials or do a DIY project to make a small booth, or whatever. Thing is, I generally get a good, clear sound when I'm recording (albeit, a good clear sound w/ reverb instead of adding it post-mix), so I'm wondering if there would be any benefit to improve the acoustic treatment? My bedroom is really large, carpeted, and not a very live environment. Anyway, I was hoping to get people's thoughts on this. If I were to construct something, what's a decent makeshift thing I could construct?

Laziness is not a recommended character trait if you are aiming for quality recordings. However, you may have inadvertently done yourself a favour by not building a booth. Generally, the bigger the space, the better the recording. If you are getting good results from your current environment, then go with that.

Bass traps, bass traps, and more bass traps.

That's where you should start.

I guess what I'm asking for is anecdotal advice, like first-hand accounts of what works well, what doesn't work well, etc.

you just got it.

mass.

think...... concrete.

to a lesser degree- wood stud walls with rockwool insulation, and green glue....
do the homework, it's all out there.

soundproofing.

---------- Update ----------

Bass traps, bass traps, and more bass traps.

That's where you should start.

this would be sound TREATMENT.....
not proofing.

Judging by your original post, you seem to be pretty satisfied with your current setup. What are you hoping to change about the results that you're getting?

Also, as reflected by the comments so far, you seem to be confusing sound proofing (reducing/minimizing the sound coming in/out of the room) with acoustic treatment (managing reflected sound within the room). Let us know which of these is your goal, and we can be of more help.

mass.

think...... concrete.
Concrete will do a lot to keep sound from getting into or out of your room, but you've got to treat that concrete a LOT to deal with the reflections.
I played a show once in a venue that was essentially a 15x45x20 foot concrete box with half of one wall open to face the bar. Worst-sounding room I've ever been in.

Yes....I think the OP was more about treatment than soundproofing...at least that was how I interpreted it.

heheh....
yep, that's why i clarified my answer:
"also, make sure you are asking the right question."

but, this is the post title:
diy soundproofing

Nice, clean recordings. I enjoyed your songs. A bit Art Garfunkelish,me him I adore. I like to check out the sounds from advisors on this site to see if I should follow their advice or not. Most of them are metal, which I really don't have an ear for. So nice to hear beautiful lyrics, melodies.
These recordings are so clean. The guitar, vocals, piano are very distinct and separate, something I always strive for. It's so hard to keep the clean, beauty of the instruments. I could envision some complimentary harmonies with some of your haunting melodies.
I enjoyed your music. Well done, well written and nicely recorded.

---------- Update ----------

Nice, clean recordings. I enjoyed your songs. A bit Art Garfunkelish,me him I adore. I like to check out the sounds from advisors on this site to see if I should follow their advice or not. Most of them are metal, which I really don't have an ear for. So nice to hear beautiful lyrics, melodies.
These recordings are so clean. The guitar, vocals, piano are very distinct and separate, something I always strive for. It's so hard to keep the clean, beauty of the instruments. I could envision some complimentary harmonies with some of your haunting melodies.
I enjoyed your music. Well done, well written and nicely recorded.

Whoa There!
Don't fall into that old trap. You will get all kinds of 'experts' telling you what you 'must' have and what you 'must' do. In a nutshell, don't do nuffink! If you are happy and think what you are recording sounds great, then you don't need to do anything. Expensive foam traps and treatment are largely for the gullible and for those who think it looks great in photos when they post them online.
If you live in a quiet area with little or no outside interfence or sound bleed then you don't need soundproofing. If you don't have neighbours to annoy, then you don't need soundproofing either. If you are happy with what you are recording and it pleases you, then you don't have a problem.
Remember, sound is subjective and just because some smart arse has re mortgaged his house in order to buy some overpriced foam, this doesn't mean he's getting better results than you are.
Having said all that. This is a hobby, so experiment with boxes, cupboards, carpet tiles and rugs. Have fun doing it but listen with your ears and not to the know it alls who think a bit of expensive foam glued to your wall is a must have accessory.

Expensive foam traps and treatment...you don't need soundproofing either.
Have fun doing it but listen with your ears and not to the know it alls who think a bit of expensive foam glued to your wall is a must have accessory.

In defense of the know-it-alls, they are correct in their assessment at "soundproofing" and "sound treatment" are very different animals. :D

Whoa There!
Don't fall into that old trap. You will get all kinds of 'experts' telling you what you 'must' have and what you 'must' do. In a nutshell, don't do nuffink! If you are happy and think what you are recording sounds great, then you don't need to do anything. Expensive foam traps and treatment are largely for the gullible and for those who think it looks great in photos when they post them online.
If you live in a quiet area with little or no outside interfence or sound bleed then you don't need soundproofing. If you don't have neighbours to annoy, then you don't need soundproofing either. If you are happy with what you are recording and it pleases you, then you don't have a problem.
Remember, sound is subjective and just because some smart arse has re mortgaged his house in order to buy some overpriced foam, this doesn't mean he's getting better results than you are.
Having said all that. This is a hobby, so experiment with boxes, cupboards, carpet tiles and rugs. Have fun doing it but listen with your ears and not to the know it alls who think a bit of expensive foam glued to your wall is a must have accessory.

Much like the original poster, you seem to be confusing soundproofing and acoustical treatment. Controlling the reflections in a room is always desirable. It sounds like the OP already has acceptable reflections, but I'd be willing to bet that some bass trapping would only help. Controlling low frequency reflections is important in pretty much any home recording environment, because most home studios are in bedrooms, basements, garages, sheds...all small enough spaces that low frequency room modes severely affect the frequency response of the room. It's not a matter of being a so-called expert, it's a matter of physics.

But we do agree that foam sucks. Use mineral wool instead.

Personally, I would never recommend anyone use any foam glued to the wall...at all...ever.

IF..... you have a very bright and reflective room, this is a GREAT way to tame it.

but

caveat here....
you gotta know what you are doing.

Thanks for all the responses. I now have learned the important distinction between acoustic treatment and soundproofing. I apologize that the title is misleading, but hey, I joined the forums about a week ago. It's good that I'm learning, right?

"23 and lazy" in this day and age - who would have thunk? :rolleyes:

well I suppose I didn't mention that I'm a student in physics, play in my church worship band, and do part-time work, all on top of songwriting, performing locally, and doing home recording/audio engineering. But you know, sarcasm :P

All in all, your comment was incredibly unnecessary and off-topic.

Laziness is not a recommended character trait if you are aiming for quality recordings. However, you may have inadvertently done yourself a favour by not building a booth. Generally, the bigger the space, the better the recording. If you are getting good results from your current environment, then go with that.

I think I may just continue the route I'm currently on, because my room is large and sound dies quickly. When I go back and review clips I've recorded, I don't really hear any lingering frequencies or odd reverberations... Because of my background in physics, I have a bit of understanding regarding how geometry effects resonant frequencies and whatnot.

These recordings are so clean. The guitar, vocals, piano are very distinct and separate, something I always strive for. It's so hard to keep the clean, beauty of the instruments.

Thank you! ^_^ The goal is obviously to improve the quality of the recordings (hence, gathering information from many perspectives), and I have a bit of work to do to become proficient at mixing/mastering, but it's comforting and encouraging to hear that someone out there thinks I'm doing alright.

Back