Distortion, Clicks, and Crackles in raw .wav when recording

thechosenkhan

Hi,

I'm new to this forum and audio in general as I started in the video world.

I help run a show that does podcasts and video interviews. As you can see in the title, crazy distortion in the raw .wavs is my problem. It is noticeable in the first minute in this podcast (Arnie McFly's Guide to Loving Surrey Jacks // Arundeep Sandhu by The Chosen Khan | Free Listening on SoundCloud).

This problem didn't occur in the first interviews where we recorded with 1 mic through the Scarlett 2i2 into Audacity.

I use a 2013 MacBook with 8gb of ram (just for recording, I have a custom PC at home).

We recently upgraded to 2 mics and the distortion happens to 2 full-length interviews. This was because I made the mistake of running both mics into a single stereo file in Audacity. To fix this, I switched to Adobe Audition, using the multitrack setting to record both mics. The problem seemed to go away but as you can hear from the link above it still happens even just for a little bit.

I have reason to believe that it is the latency, causing my not ideal computer to keep up.

Anyone have this problem before? or knows any idea what is actually causing it?

PS I don't think it is fault XLR or miss because monitoring is clear throughout.

I would suspect it is related to the processing power required from the computer. You could take a look at the CPU usage while you are recording and see if it jumps around or what percentage it is sitting at. If it is too high, it could cause clicks and pops in the audio.

Back