Direct record combo amp to Reaper

spantini

COO of me, inc.
I want to use a combo amp I'm looking to buy to record to Reaper. The instrument out on the rear is a combination Phones/Rec Out RTS. There is also the USB port.

Can I safely use the Phones/Rec Out RTS to direct record to Reaper through my audio interface? Can this be done via the USB port?

The last time (many moons ago) I recorded anything using direct connections, there were direct boxes, snakes, and XLR cables. No XLR direct outs on the amp I'm getting.

Does the audio interface handle the line balances and deliver a correct signal for direct input?

You mean TRS? Yeah, just plug it in and go. Make sure you plug into that headphone/record output, though, and not like an external speaker jack! The fact that it's phones/record leads me to believe the TRS is L/R/Ground like for headphones rather than +/-/ground for balanced input. Unless there's like a switch or something, you'll want either a TRS>Dual TS "insert/stereo" cable, or just a regular TS guitar cable. TRS>TRS into a balanced line input won't work. It won't blow anything up, but it won't sound right. Course a look at the owner's manual would answer the question...

If you're recording to PC, you can't use two ASIO audio devices at once. There are hacks to make it happen, but that's always questionable. So even if it does send audio over USB, you won't be able to run it with your interface at the same time. Don't bother switching back and forth. Use the analog connections.

You obviously won't hear the sound of the cabinet itself, and you may not even hear the power amp, but in an amp with a USB hole, the power amp probably isn't supposed to add any color anyway. There is probably a speaker emulation of some sort for the phone's output, but that might be a switch or a setting or mode somewhere. Again, RTFM. ;)

What amp? What interface?

Even though the jack works with stereo headphones, it should be "smart enough" to detect a single TS plug, like a guitar cord and not misbehave. You can plug that into a LINE input on your interface, or go through a DI with a PAD and possibly use an XLR input, though you might still need a pad on that.

Since it is also a headphone out, you might discover it shuts the speaker off when you use it, unless there's a separate speaker on/off switch, so you'll need to monitor through the interface in that case.

And, changes to your volume level at the amp will change what's being sent to the interface, so watch your level there and record levels in the DAW if you fiddle with the amp once you've got it set up.

P.S. I've used the USB out on my Blues Cube Hot along with my interface, both at the same time in the DAW. But, I'm on a Mac, and there you create an aggregate device that is used for input/output. I did it to actually test the difference between the Line/Rec out and the USB - not diffferent enough to go to the trouble for that amp. Neither sound exactly like the mic'd cabinet, but that's always going to have a bit of room/"air" to it. In a mix you could get that back (in a direct recorded track) if you really needed it, but most of the time it would not be anything you'd notice, IMO.

(Quote removed)

Oops! Yeah. TRS. But it will be a TS guitar line. I slipped. This is definitely a headphone/rec out jack, not ext speaker. I plan on direct recording via headphone/rec out > interface. I'll have to monitor at the interface's headphone out.

The amp I'm looking to buy is a Katana-50; a Tascam US-2x2 interface (on order). I've DL'd the 2x2 user guide and have been skimming through it already.. late nite.. very tired. Probably read it and can't recall this part. Thanks for your input.

(Quote removed)

I'm ok with the speaker off thing. I'm in an apartment and will probably be working late hours. The manual says the headphones/rec out gives the same sound you'd get from the speaker - that's cool. However.. I record dry, and this amp has a clean setting, so that'll work. Thanks for your reply.

Last edited:
Do we really need to read the whole thread twice?!? ;)

The jack doesn't have to be "smart". If you plug in a TS, the right side output will be shorted. I'm sure they've taken steps to make sure that doesn't cause damage.

I just have to ask: Do you actually need this amp for like live gigs or practices? It's a whole lot of amp for just direct recording. You could save money and get a wider range of recorded tones (a LOT more flexibility) with a license for PodFarm or something similar. In fact, there are plenty of free amp sims out there that will do at least as well as this.

I do play live once a week for a small group - acoustic through a mic & Fender PA. I'm shopping for a new Strat and wanted the amp for that.. sometime early next year. So I thought an amp with downloadable samples would cover both areas: Reaper recording and live gigs.

Checking out PodFarm... It's interesting you mentioning PodFarm because my first combo amp choice was a Line 6 Spider IV, which probably has some of the same models and effects with more downloadable, and is less expensive. Interesting. I think I may put a temporary hold on the amp and give PodFarm 2.5 a shot. Thanks!

Back