Digital vs. Analog harmonic distortion

Simon Baker

Can anyone tell me the difference between digital and analog harmonic distortion. I understand it has to do with odd and even harmonics and one being more pleasing to the ear (analog). Is this the main aural difference in the perception of digital and analog? Cheers, Simon.

Analog distortion has a "knee", while digital doesn't.
When you go over the top level in digital, you go over the top level, and thats it.
This produces different harmonics, yes, but you need not worry much about even and odd harmonics really. The distortion simply is harder in digital. The effect of this is that overdrive in digital format is instantly noticable, while in analog just touching the overdrive may go unnoticed.

And different analog devices produces different distortion too. A tube on overdrive produces softer distortion than a transistor, and so does tape, which is why valve guitar amps sound better than transistor ones.

Attachments

• f_clip.gif
    f_clip.gif
    4.1 KB · Views: 918
Very nice explanation. Best I've ever heard...
However, one remark on the drawing: the max level of the analog distorted signal should be the same as the max level of the digital distorted signal... Near the point where clipping occurs, the amplification of the analog circuit will allready decrease. Digital stuff will act normal untill it goes over the top... (or untill it tries to get over. :) )

The hard clipping in digital also produces more harmonics in the high spectrum. (A hard edge or fast change corresponds with high frequencies...) While the soft knee will add a nice blend of more distrubuted harmonics.

Is that last part right? Or does my view on it needs a little refinement?

I snitched the drawing. :) It's used to explain something esle that also concerns soft vs hard-knee distortion. In any case, its only there to show the difference... :)

But you are correct.

digital vs analog cd-r recording and burning

First of all, I want to thank you for the help you guys provide.

I know nothing about digital vs analog so explain to me as if I was a 6 yrs old please!

I am a progressive trance DJ and I've just finished my 1st compilation. I record on a Denon DN-550R directly from vinyl records played on Technics turntables. Someone suggested I record my compilations on DIGITAL CD-R instead of ANALOG CD-R, so I did. After recording on my Denon, I insert this DIGITAL cd-r into my PC and I "rip it" to my hard drive using windows media player. Under rip settings I choose the format windows media audio (not the variable bit rate one). After that I use Nero Express to make copies onto DIGITAL CD-Rs at 32x (4800 KB/s).

I am having some problems with the reproduction of these DIGITAL cds. The songs skip too much when reproduced on my computer but not on all other cd palyers. I used to record everything before on analog cd-r and I never had problems.

So here we go..

1- Do I need to replace my CD-RW?
2- Should I burn at a lower speed to fix this problem?
3- Are there any REAL advantages when I record my vinyl on DIGITAL cd-r instead of ANALOG cd-r using the Denon? Should I keep on doing this or should I record on ANALOG cd-r’s?
4-What Windows Media Player rip setting should I use? There are 3 options: Windows Media Audio, Windows Media Audio (variable rip rate) and Windows Media Audio Lossless? Or should I copy this DIGITAL cd-r onto my hard drive using another program?
5-Are there any REAL advantages when I burn copies (using Nero) onto DIGITAL cd-r‘s or should I use ANALOG cd-r’s?

My goal is to make a CD free of problems for the final user, in other words, I want every person who listens to one of my cds to have a pleasant reproduction, with a great quality sound, free of flaws and song skipping.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

Peace
DJ RCR

My short interpretation:

Digital harmonic distortion= Ewwww.

Electronic (bright, harsh, edgy and overly emphasised)

Analog Harmonic distortion= Ahhhhhh.

"Natural" (warm, thick, rounded, smoothed, crunched and softened)

LeeRosario said:
My short interpretation:

Digital harmonic distortion= Ewwww.

Electronic (bright, harsh, edgy and overly emphasised)

Analog Harmonic distortion= Ahhhhhh.

"Natural" (warm, thick, rounded, smoothed, crunched and softened)

LOL!!!
I'll use this as a sales pitch for some valve gear someday :D

Dags

djrcr: I'm a bit confused by what you mean an "Analog" CDR? There is no such thing. All CD players/recorders by definition are digital. Am I missing something here?

To answer your question about burning speeds. I find that slower speeds work better and cause less errors. For general purposes I don't burn faster than 8x. However, for more critical stuff, I burn at 2x.

Digital distortion vs. analog distortion... they each have their place and they sound different. I'm not talking about unintentional digital clipping on the DA converter, or on a mixdown. There are also some other types of digital distortion other than clipping, for example wraparound distortion and waveshaping. If you think digital clipping sound harsh, try wraparound distortion. It completely obliterates anything that goes through it. Yum. Perfect for noise and industrial type stuff! :D

noisewreck said:
To answer your question about burning speeds. I find that slower speeds work better and cause less errors. For general purposes I don't burn faster than 8x. However, for more critical stuff, I burn at 2x.

I tend to never burn any faster than about 3/4 the maximum speed of the burner to avoid errors. If I want to be *really* sure (and have the time) I'll burn single speed for CDs which are going to be mastered, maximum 2x speed if I'm in a hurry ;)
Dags

Yes you can record analog on a cd

I have a CD recorder and it has the option to record analog or digital. If I already made a digital copy all future copies are analog and not digital, its to prevent piracy of copyrighted music. I know pirates got around this protection which I dont want to know.

I dont know the tech end and how analog is put on a cd but I know they dont sound digital recorded in analog. I will try playing both on a Stereo-70 amp and know for myself which is better, I will also compare with a stereo cassette on the same amp.

I know tube amps produce all the harmonics that solid state amps leave out. Music is made up of all kinds of harmonics. you can hear the overtones on a string instrument or an upright or grand piano. Tubes reproduce those sounds and is pleasent to the ear.

Some rock groups use tube amps and recorded cds and you can hear some of them sounds, I had a Beatles cd of all their singles and the guitar sounds have fullness to the recording, its like I heard when I was a child. I would like to see tubes brought back.

:facepalm:

Someone please tell me that misteron7 is a spambot digging up 7 year-old threads...
...it will make all that nonsense easier to accept. :D

Back