digi 002

Jtrain42

it may be possible that my band will be getting a digi 002, now i don't want you to think that i'm just another idiot with money, i'm not its just that we have this opportunity to get it and it alone and i am unsure as to all of it's capabilities could someone fill me in

not idiot

Jtrain

Well, the 002 comes as either a rack version or a control surface. I have neither, but my understanding is that the rack is basically the instrument/computer interface plus the pro tools LE recording software. The control surface is all of the above plus it serves as a hardware mixing surface; i.e. you can control all of the mixing/editing parameters using the board, and don't have to use a computer mouse/keyboard. I've heard some on this board comment that the latter setup is limiting in that the control surface only interfaces with pro tools. You might want to consider options that allow for more flexibility, but again, I know very little about these systems.

The $2200 part would be the complete digi 002 with control surface and should include Pro Tools LE software. I saw a demonstration of this a while back and thought it was a pretty slick setup. The sales guy was running it with a Sony laptop and an external firewire hard drive (maybe a Glyph). The functionality and ease of use seemed to be pretty good and provides a path to migrate into a larger Pro Tools studio.

That being said, I am not a Pro Tools advocate for the sake of the "every pro studio uses Pro Tools" mentality. Personally, I think you can put together a more flexible system for the same or less cost by going a different route.

Good luck,
Darryl.....

the little mixer you get for paying $2200 is really not worth it. You'll just be doing a lot more clicking around without it.

speaking of little mixers.....

Howcome all these mixers they make with automation have to feel like cheap pieces of plasic. They almost come across as toys. Especially some of the DAWs that are out now. I like my 1680. Solid as a Rock. Outdated....but solid.

Interesting thought from outlaws. I have checked out a few control surfaces and now that Outlaws mentions it, they did kinda seem toy-like.

Those that say wait and save more before making your purchase are probably talking from experience. I am sure that almost everyone here has purchased some kinda budget gear and later found that they had to replace the junk with the real thing and therefore, their initial investment was, in the long run, a waste of money.

When I first started, I looked at a Behringer mixer. Not knowing exactly what the story was with these things, I could not believe that any company could sell so much for so little. Then I came across this web site. In fact, I had already ordered the Behringer. By the time it arrived, I had read wat I needed to read on this site and sent the thing back forthwith. The company told me I would lose the shipping fee and, frankly, after reading some of the posts here, I thought that might be better than wasting the entire amount of the purchase price only to find that the mixer was a worthless piece of junk and would in no way satisfy my needs.

So, in the end, it all boils down to the fact that if you but something good from the start, you only have to make the purchase once and there is no wasted money.

By the way, I noticed you have a Telecaster and a Strat. I bet you did not consider budget version of those and paid the price you had to pay to get what you wanted. Had you purchased cheap knockoffs you would probably already be sorry and looking for a way to sell or trade them for the real thing.

Okay, then, enough of that.

Well, just to post a contrary opinion...

I think the 002 kicks butt.

Some around here like to pick on Pro Tools. In my experience, its no better and no worse than any other high end software. Everyone has differing opinions, but you can do just about anything with any of the programs.... so I don't understand why it gets a bad rap.

Its not that expensive. Classy hardware (the 4 pres in the 002 are really sweet), 18 channels in and out, a motorized control surface, robust software, and a decent plugin package... It's not a horrible deal.

If that is the only option you have, as you seem to suggest, its an excellent option.

Take care,
Chris

Outlaws said:
speaking of little mixers.....

Howcome all these mixers they make with automation have to feel like cheap pieces of plasic. They almost come across as toys. Especially some of the DAWs that are out now. I like my 1680. Solid as a Rock. Outdated....but solid.

Older mixer use real VCA's. Newer Daw mixers are human pacifiers, no voltage, no real metals :). P & G faders can cost $100 per fader used...add another $800 to the 002 and will it be any different quality wise. The 002 is a mini Pro control 24 priced for homerecordists. If it was for project studios it would have 16 channel faders, 4 buss faders and a stereo fader plus at least 8 xlr ins..and another 8 analog inputs. I wonder if the pro control faders are interchangeable?
Ive always thought the 002 was a great deal for homerecordists, I even know some highly regarded pro's who use them along side bigger analog consoles, its gives them PT without the excessive costs of HD3...

SoMm

In addition to recording, you can use the digi002 as a stand alone digital mixer with EQ and FX. Not sure if that is all that improtant, but if you are just starting out without a mixer for band practice, small gigs, etc., it's an added bonus.

A person who's looking to break into home recording doesn't buy the Digi-002 for its mixing controls (though they're handy). They buy the 002 for its inputs.

I'm personally quite pleased with my 002. The pre's aren't too shabby, and the unit itself is rock-solid.

If you're looking to get into a Pro Tools-based system for cheap, but aren't concerned about inputs (i.e., you're recording one piece at a time - limited live sound), then buy the Mbox and save yourself $1500.

That having been said, I started with an Mbox, and wouldn't go back for anything. I don't think I've clicked on a fader in six months..and I hope I never have to. :)

Son of Mixerman - Yes the Pro Control 24 does have interchangable faders. Which is good because they brake often.

Fenix - Maybe so, but i believe the 002 allows two channels of digital (is it ADAT light pipe?) so you can hook up external converters.

Chris Shaeffer - Its gets a bad rap because they have taught people to believe that its the only way to get professional results, which all of us know, that is just not true. And not more expensive? My ass its not! Ive got a Pro Control 24 with a HD2 running Protools 6. Guess the price on that thing? Around $18,000 new. Not to mention the price of the cables for the control 24. Was like $900 a cable. Do you know what you can do with $18,000 put into a different system? And thats not even including the 96 i/o

And the Digi 002 not expensive? Sure its not a HD2. But look what you are getting for $2200, and look at the Motu line of products. Rumored having the same converters as the protools stuff. a Motu 2408mk3 has tons more features, except no preamps.

Not really trying to knock on yah here, but look at the facts.

Anyway, all in all i really dont mind the Digi 002 compared to other stuff they put out, cept i like using Nuendo 2. There will be a time when i am going to sell the HD2 and Control 24 and get a 002 (rack) to use the external converters but still have the name Pro Tools in the studio.

Danny

fenix said:
a digi001 with an 8 channel preamp like the presonus digimax is a much better investment than the digi002.

I do agree with this unless you can't live without the faders. I have a digi001 and really don't see a need for faders. I think working in Edit mode with a mouse is very easy and very exact. But then again I just started this a few years ago and never used faders before that.

With the above set up (or the Focusrite Octipre (sp?)) you will getting more channels of better sound depending on your needs.

One last thing, if you are going to be moving around a lot then the 002 is the way to go because it is firewire and can be swapped machine to machine (notebook to desktop).

Just thoughts.

right now i am considering getting rid of my mackie 24-8 and mackie mdr and getting a 002 and a mac g4 to replace it. is this a good move?? what are you opinions? basiclly i just record myself and i dont need 24 inputs at one time. i need automation more. but can i add more inputs to a 002 system if i desire to???
also can i apply eq during tracking if i desire to or do i have to buy an eq plugin??

maskedman72 said:
right now i am considering getting rid of my mackie 24-8 and mackie mdr and getting a 002 and a mac g4 to replace it. is this a good move?? what are you opinions? basiclly i just record myself and i dont need 24 inputs at one time. i need automation more. but can i add more inputs to a 002 system if i desire to???
also can i apply eq during tracking if i desire to or do i have to buy an eq plugin??

Good move? Probably in the sense that you will have the luxury of working in Pro Tools and the power and ease of the software. I would also question whether you need the 002 or if the 001 or M-box would be enough. Probably depends on if you really want/need real faders. The software has faders that work the same, you just need to use a mouse or you use the edit screen for automation which I find easier. Of couse I am new school. :)

You can add more inputs to the 001 and the 002 via ADAT optical.

You can apply eq during tracking via a harware EQ unit or in the software via busses. I would not reccomend the later option and probably not the first option as it limits your options later.

ProTools will come with some EQ software options.

I have the digi001 and a G4 and it has run great, probably better than the PC option but it costs more. ProTools has been pretty easy to learn and does a lot. You may also want to look at other options besides ProTools.

this might be a stupid question but what is adat optical? if i wanted to add another 8 inputs wouldnt i need a 882 or a 884?
if i were using pro tools than how would i set up a talkback system if all of my inputs are being used for a drum kit?

Back