Descriptive audio words and definitions?

Jeremy Clarkson

When recording and mixing with other people it would be helpful to be able to describe the sounds, if they are good or bad/ need improvement and why...

Give a list of some words that describe sounds

tinny- high, metallic, thin

Thanks!

When recording and mixing with other people it would be helpful to be able to describe the sounds, if they are good or bad/ need improvement and why...

Give a list of some words that describe sounds

tinny- high, metallic, thin

Thanks!

Dude! I LOVE Top Gear! Give my regards to the Hamster and Captain Slow!

Cheers :)

my favourite descriptive word is:

Wiffily - to be dominated and undifined in the low-mid frequency band.

I've often found this a problem with people that don't really do much talking about sound, but the best way to describe sound I've found is by using visual references, like bright, dull, shiny, sparkly or describing it in terms of the kinds of sound certain objects would make. For example heavy objects you would expect to make a low loud sound, so that's what heavy means. One producer/drummer I worked with describe his tom sound as papery, because it kind of sounded like when the flat a sheet of paper (this was a good thing by the way :-)).

I think it's all personal preference and you get to work out your own vocab with different people. the aforementioned drummer also said: I want it to sound... (the proceeded to rub his thumb and index finger together)... but I knew exactly what he meant. Actions speak louder than words sometimes :-).

Back