Decent setup? What else?...

SMX_Dizzy

Hey all. Well, I made this thread so you guys could tell me what I'll need in the future for my recording studio setup. What I'm going to be using right off the bat will be my computer (specs if you want em), an Alesis Multimix 16 Firewire, and 4 mics (2 drum overheads, 1 bass drum, 1 vox/amp). Obviously cables and stands come into play also, but those don't really matter.

What else do I really need? Like I said, I'll be starting with the Multimix 16 and will keep it, but what should I, or do I need to, add? I mean, other than some other mics for my drumset and other applications, what else? Anything?...or can I run a decent studio with the mixer and the software?

I'll start treating my room sooner than later (and will make another thread for it), but will probably be starting my studio after Thanksgiving but hopefully before Christmas. Therefore, what I'll be adding won't come along untill around the middle of next year.

Thanks for any input. I appreciate the advice.

What mics do you have exactly? 4 mics isn't a lot to run a studio with but I guess it could be done.

I'm still making decisions on the mics. There's tons of different choices and I'm trying to find out which would be best.

Also I thought I would add that I will be using Cubase SE3. Is the Alesis mixer compatible with it?

And also, what speakers are you monitoring with? Just as important as everything else! Ultimately, you're going to want some better mic-pres than the Alesis, and maybe a decent compressor on the front end. The FMR RNP (Really Nice Pre) mic-amp, and the RNC (Really Nice Compressor) aren't expensive and sound really amazing, especially for the money. I haven't heard the Alesis pres, but I've been told by someone who has heard both that the RNPs sound better than the Alesis.
FMR Really Nice Gear

But most importantly right now, it's all about mics. I'd avoid getting in to the scuffle of all these new Chinese mics and stick with some real basic good solid mics--ones that are REALLY used in Pro Recording. And I'm not hitting you with a lot of cost here, either:

1) Shure SM7B for vocals, kick and electric guitar/bass
2) Pair of either Josephson C42s or Shure SM81 small condensers for overheads, acoustic guitars, percussion, all around studio use
3) Shure Beta57A for snare, guitars
4) A decent DI Box, like a Radial JDI, Little Labs Redeye or GrooveTubes Brick.

You'll get amazing mileage out of these transducers. And the Shure SM7B is a better-sounding lead vocal mic than any of the under $1000 Asian condensers. Trust me, major producers use this mic for vocals all the time. And it's less than $400. If that's too much dough, then get a Beta58A. Maybe also get a couple regular SM57s for toms or snare-bottom or scratch vocals. They're cheap and good.

Josephson
Shure
Little Labs
Good luck!! :)

Drewcifer666 said:
But most importantly right now, it's all about mics.
No, it's not. A Neuman won't do you much more good than a Radio Shack mic if you can't hear it (and hear it well), both in recording and mixing. Before you do anything else, you need a monitoring system. Get the best speakers and amp you can get your hands on. Get the best D/A converter and clock you can get your hands on. Then fix the room itself to sound great.

THEN worry about buying more mics and fun recording toys. Monitors aren't sexy and aren't "fun" like a new mic or a new pre-amp, but you can't do squat without them.

A lot of things I don't have solid, concrete ideas on. I'm really not 100% positive on anything (other than the Multimix).

For monitors, I have a budget of $250 or less. I've been looking at the Samson Resolv 50a monitors, and my friend has them and they sound really good. But if there are better active monitors for $250 or less with RCA inputs, let me know! I want them to be RCA b/c I will be running them out of my Audiophile 2496 rather than out the Multimix (I know, I can, but then the Audiophile was a waste other than for MIDI).

As far as mics go, here's my dilemma. I'm pretty much sold on a Shure Beta 52 (which I guess is the same as the Beta 52A) for my bass drum. My real problem is overheads. Here's my options so far (opinions on which would be best would be great):

- two MXL 604's for $200
- two MXL 603's and two MXL 2001's for $200
- two matched (but b-stock) Joe Meek JM27's for $100
- two stereo paired MXL 993's for $180
- two MXL 993's (with 2 stands, 2 cables, 2 clips, A-T ATH-M20 headphones, and an M-Audio Mobile Pre usb) for $300

For the first four options I still need to buy stands, cables, clips, etc. but for the fifth option it comes with all of that, and I would sell the M-Audio Mobile Pre. Any opinions on those 5 choices?

I would sugest something like RV7 drum mic set.

Iv used it a few times and well the kick mic aint great i swap it out for a D112 and a 57 on the back pointing at the beater.

SE Electronics 2200A i love them for over heads and have used them for vox on ocasion.

SE Electronics Gemini, if you can afford it £800 for one of those amazing tube mic

Beyerdynamic M201 again pritty good over heads or on toms

AKG 414s, I got one of the classic ones and its great for deep male vox dunno about the ones they produce new these days.

and mins a staple of 57s and 58s cant comment on the betas not used them.

I'll definitely get an SM57 for the snare later, but I figured I could get a decent sound out of 2 overheads and a bass mic. I also have no idea on what to get for a vox/amp mic. $150-$170 will probably be my budget on that.

SMX_Dizzy said:
I'll definitely get an SM57 for the snare later, but I figured I could get a decent sound out of 2 overheads and a bass mic. I also have no idea on what to get for a vox/amp mic. $150-$170 will probably be my budget on that.

i would sugest 2 mics on the snare a 57 and SM81 or sumthing ( mind and phase invert

look at the SE or red 5 mics theres some good stuff there

the 2200A is good

SMX_Dizzy said:
For monitors, I have a budget of $250 or less. I've been looking at the Samson Resolv 50a monitors, and my friend has them and they sound really good. But if there are better active monitors for $250 or less with RCA inputs, let me know! I want them to be RCA b/c I will be running them out of my Audiophile 2496 rather than out the Multimix
Seriously, take money away from your mic budget and put them towards your monitor budget. Monitors are much more important to the whole recording process. You record by listening. You mix by listening. The gear doesn't do it. You do it. If you have a $1000 mic and put it in the wrong spot it will sound worse than a $90 mic put in the right spot. And the only way you have even a chance of finding that right spot is if you can hear it. I can't stress how important monitoring is.

You could get one condencer and one dynamic mic and be fine for quite a long time. Budget ones, too.

And don't worry about RCA on the back of the monitors. They could have XLR or 1/4 inch and it wouldn't matter. The plug adapters to make it RCA are easy to find and cheap.

Well, to add to my monitoring budget from taking away from my micing budget, should I get the matched b-stock JM27's?...and use the extra $100 towards some better monitors? That puts my budget up to around $350-$400. What I should really find out is if the JM27's are really worth it, even if they're b-stock, and how they rank among 603's.

And this is off topic, but what falls under b-stock? Open box? Damaged boxed? Used but returned? I'm curious b/c the matched pair of JM27's might be a great deal then, and I also found a b-stock Multimix 16 FW for $480. Would it be worth it to buy b-stock equipment or should I buy brand new everything?

I'm pretty sure I'll get a Studio Projects B3 for vocals and amp micing. Three patterns for $150...sounds like a steal to me, and doesn't look like crap. Unless there's a better mic for vox/amp micing for $150, I'd like some more input and opinions.

maybe try a rode nt1 its around $200 decent for vocals or if you got some loot $400 for the rode nt2 but its got way more features...

Back