Dbx 166xl. What's the problem

track pusha

Hey everybody

I just got a DBX 166xl compressor and it doesn't seem to be working for me :mad: . I hooked everything up, but i don't get any sound from my mic. I just get this staticy sound, like when you see snow on your tv. Please help me I read the manual, but i still can't figure it out.

sup,
it depends on how your running the compressor and where. are u run'n a daisy chain ex. : mic-->mixer-->compressor-->recorder or
are u inserting the compressor into the mix. there are many ways to setup a compressor and different people are partial to different setups, mainly because theyve found one that works for what they do. little more info and maybe we can troubleshoot.

If you are plugging the mic into the compressor, it doesn't work that way. If you are using a condenser, the phantom power won't go through the compressor.

ok the boss portable studio right,this is what u do, i dont think the 532 has phantom power, so if you are using a condensor mic you are going to need a power box to run the mic thru to receive power. local music store should have one. If just a regular shure sm57 or any dynamic mic:
plug into to boss xlr input(first rule preamp before compression), then run it out thru the line out 1/4 jack into the dbx 1/4 jack input. Now from the dbx line out connect back to the boss line in now you should be ready.

now if your still getting static check your connections make sure your input and output levels arnt jacked up and are at a reasonable level. after that check the compressor make sure it is setup correctly gate should be set to about -30db, compression is best about 2:1 or 4:1 attack and release are trial and error there is no default setting that is going to work all the time with different vocalists. good luck and let me no if ne of this was helpful.

thanks everybody, sorry it took me so long to reply. Doc i'm using a condensor mic and i do have phantom power, but it's not working.

did u hook it up like i said, i couldnt remember if the 532 did or didnt i had one about 2 years ago but i sold to a friend when i got new mixing board and started recording on computer. i only used it to process guitar. give me some more info man, ill try to help u the best i can.

Back