DAW with digital multi-track recorder???

Lou Hanson

I'm new to this forum, and intend to start recording in the next 6 months or so. I'm looking @ the Zoom 16 or 24. I don't know much about recording, other than I'm tired of paying a studio to do it. My question is that if I go the route of the Zoom, do I need to purchase software as well for mixing? I don't expect it to sound like what the pros have produced for me. I just want to be able to record for my own use and distribute copies to land gigs. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

If you want to transfer it to a computer and mix it there, of course you'll need software.

Try Reaper. It's easy, cheap ($60- free to try) and tons of features.

The Zoom R16 or R24 does not need any "mixing" or "mastering" software at all. Mixing is done right in the unit and there are a number of options for "mastering" as well. You don't have to buy any other software. You didn't go into too much detail about what you want to do overall but the Zoom units are fine. They will allow you to transfer certain files back and forth between a PC and the Zoom........if you ever wanted to. But you certainly would not have to. Hope that helps you a bit.

Just picked up a used DP-01FX (pretty much the same idea as the Zoom) and I'm planning on using it in conjunction with Reaper. Sometimes I'll mix/record in the box, sometimes transfer to the computer - whatever works out for the best soundwise, I reckon.

I assume the process, whether using one or the other or both, will work itself out in the end - and with a lot of luck, result in something listenable. :thumbs up:

Each have something to offer - I like the knobs/ease on the digital recorder, but Reaper gives me a lot more options as far as effects, EQ, etc.

I think the Zooms (at least the 24) can be used as a DAW controller (using knobs to manipulate software), so that's the best of both worlds. However, I do not believe they have a CD burner on them any longer - that doesn't matter much since you can simply sling it to a PC/Mac, however.

Daryl

The Zoom R16 or R24 does not need any "mixing" or "mastering" software at all. Mixing is done right in the unit and there are a number of options for "mastering" as well. You don't have to buy any other software. You didn't go into too much detail about what you want to do overall but the Zoom units are fine. They will allow you to transfer certain files back and forth between a PC and the Zoom........if you ever wanted to. But you certainly would not have to. Hope that helps you a bit.

Entirely true--but the user interface on the R16/R24 isn't always the easiest to use and some of the facilities are a bit lmited. You may find it more convenient to use the Zoom for quick and basic but transfer into a DAW when you want to get a bit more complex. Since Reaper is free to try and cheap to buy, it may be worth just experimenting with the different capabilities of each.

I have an R16.
I'm about to echo Bobbsy's thoughts.
It's good but not as good as mixing in the box.
It works well as an interface (particularly with the bundled Cubase software for which it automatically becomes a control surface).
I found that I would import the work I did in the R16 into Reaper for more flexibility so ended up using Reaper from the get go (oh & I paid for it).
It has some good guitar sounds as well.
I found working with the little screen very intimidating as was scrolling through stuff.
It's good but it's better when hooked up to a computer.

I have an R16.
I'm about to echo Bobbsy's thoughts.
It's good but not as good as mixing in the box.
It works well as an interface (particularly with the bundled Cubase software for which it automatically becomes a control surface).
I found that I would import the work I did in the R16 into Reaper for more flexibility so ended up using Reaper from the get go (oh & I paid for it).
It has some good guitar sounds as well.
I found working with the little screen very intimidating as was scrolling through stuff.
It's good but it's better when hooked up to a computer.

To add to the obvious, while you can use the Zoom only, you best option is to use it in conjunction with a DAW. Several reasons why, but the main reason is, you can do a quick session, push over to the DAW, go to the next session and mix later when you have the time. Plus I think your mixes will sound better as everyone has stated, you have more tools and control over the final mix down.

Back