cyber collaborations

robjh22

Suppose I lay down a track of a song and want you to lay down the next track and send the product back to me. You live in Maine and I live in california. Have you all exhausted this subject before?

If I had to do it today with no input, I would assume you would need to make a CD with one track, then PHYSICALLY MAIL (gross!)
the CD to me, I would load it onto my machine, lay down track 2, etc. Surely this has been thought out and there's a purely electronic way to do it?

Sure, use an ftp server. Anyone with DSL or other type broadband connection could set up a server for sharing files. You could do it with dial-up but ............very................very............slow

How much would it run to set an ftp up, by the way? Any recommendations on who to go through? I've been meaning to for a while now, but I've been lazy. :D

I am doing this right now with a friend. He is on the west coast, and I am in the southeast. We both use Cakewalk Sonar; he sends me a CD with a rough stereo mix (Cakewalk bundles the file). We exchange ideas through e-mail and phone calls.

All I do is copy the files he sends me to the hard drive, and then I open them with Cakewalk, listen, and add parts. It's a little odd at first (for me at least) to track to one stereo file. Playbacks are harder to mix, but then I'm really new to all this. When I am done, I re-save as a new bundle file, burn to a new CD and send back. He can then listen and use -- or not use -- what he likes/does not like.

The best thing about doing this is that I am able to bridge time and distance and play music again with a really good friend -- something I have missed for a long time.

The ftp site mentioned may be the way to go. We had talked about it. It may make things more convenient and cost the same in the long run. Right now, I make a rough mix an mp3 of parts I add, and mix it so he can hear the parts, and I e-mail it to him to listen to. FTP would make that more streamlined.

Anyways, it's a cool concept that I am enjoying. Go for it.

Falcon

chessrock said:
How much would it run to set an ftp up, by the way? Any recommendations on who to go through? I've been meaning to for a while now, but I've been lazy. :D

The only cost would be the cost of the internet connection assuming you have a computer with adequate drive space and the knowledge of setting up a FTP server. Or do you mean to host it elsewhere?

The ladder.

HangDawg said:
The only cost would be the cost of the internet connection assuming you have a computer with adequate drive space and the knowledge of setting up a FTP server. Or do you mean to host it elsewhere?

I think he meant the hosting somewhere else. Though it might be a good alternative to host it yourself as suggested.

sonicpaint

There are several free ftp server clients available online. It is worth looking into, though, whether you're isp has any problems with you having a server. Mine sets up my dns so that I can only act as a server on my subnet.:(

matty_boy said:
There are several free ftp server clients available online. It is worth looking into, though, whether you're isp has any problems with you having a server. Mine sets up my dns so that I can only act as a server on my subnet.:(

There is usually a way around the ISP naughty-ness. If you mean that your IP address is dynamic, there are services available dyndns for one, to deal with non-static ip's And if they block port 21 you can always use a different port number. Also, an ftp client is not what you want, you would need an ftp server/daemon to run a FTP server.

I don't mean to do any plugging... but if you stop over at http://www.artistcollaboration.com and go to the forums section... the guy who runs that site.. DS_Sultan (a member over at audioforums.com) offers free ftp space and will help you set it all up! It's a great offer in my opinion and I personally am a member.

good luck
ls

Back