Creative production

davechurchill

Any suggestions on new songs/productions/arrangements/performances that are great?

Not just recording quality, but where the song and arrangement and performance and production are all really interesting and well done. For example, many old Beatle songs pushed the envelope all the way around.

DC

The most recent Peter Gabriel Album, UP. First of all, it is Peter Gabriel, so it must be creative musically. Secondly, it was mixed by Tchad Blake, who is (in my opinion) the most creative engineer out there right now.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

Linkin Park is on the cutting edge of all that. Check out their new album METEORA. it will blast your face off, while you will be pleasantly intrigued.

They mix electric guitars and synth sounds and sampling in a way that f'ing rocks! not to mention a lot of variety.

The Spoon albums "Girls Can Tell" and "Killing the Moonlight" are pretty cool. Great sound and Beatlesque production and tunes while still sounding original. I did an interview with the producer and it's posted in this forum.

Sara Maclachlan's "Fumbling Towards Ecstasy" is a great sounding album.

The Rick Ruben produced Johnny Cash "American Recordings" are truly legendery. I think they did 3 albums together. A lot of the songs are covers or popular rock hits so it's interesting hearing Cash's arrangements.

I agree with Tex, big-time.

Spoon is my new favorite band to come out in quite some time. I can't believe more people aren't listening to them.

And I've always loved Peter Gabriel and his stuff has always been brilliant dating all the way back to Genesis . . . so I'm not sure that I'd call it "new" but it's always evolving.

The Flaming Lips are pretty adventurous in terms of their productions lately. Yoshemi is a great album.

I agree with the Sara Mac and Johnny Cash..I havent heard the "Spoon" stuff
The new "Our Lady Of Peace" is really good for radio rock n roll! Love the drums!
Can't go wrong with RadioHead's "OK Computer"..Not really brand new but still great

Don

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I thought for a minute this was the wrong forum to ask. Looking forward to hearing these.

Texroadkill, where would I find that interview?

Dredg - El Cielo. Not exactly new, but excellent production/songs/everything. Very interesting sounds, and something different from the norm, IMO.

Be warned that their webpage is a hard to navigate artsy pile of dog doo, so finding samples of their songs might be tough :)

travis

Any of Cafe Tacuba's cd's. I really like the combination of this band & producer Gustavo Santaolalla. Very unique sound.

I second Flaming Lips. Also check out Wilco, Groove Armada, Medeski Martin & Wood (though I'd like them to move outside their formula), and Shelby Lynne's last couple of albums. And, a little more mainstream - Moby, new Steely Dan, and Lucinda Williams. Oh yeah, don't forget Macle and Sluice in our own mp3 clinic - those guys are amazing.:cool:

Daf

Check out an old Ambrosia album called Somewhere I Never Traveled. This was done before they went "soft".

Interesting, melodic and a few unexpected twists and turns. The arrangements are a bit eclectic, but at the same time catchy.

After hearing so much about Spoon on this site and reading Texs' interview, I checked out their mp3s on www.spoontheband.com. Very cool indeed.Great production, keeps your mind moving.Bet it sounds great with headphones. I think I'll pick up their cds.

Thanx, Grinder

Back