Counting Crows: August and Everything After

I wouldnt mind reading up on that. T Bone Burnett produced their first album, not sure about that one. Everything he does has a pretty interesting feel to it.

T Bone Burnett also did Natalie Merchant's latest album (Motherland). Some pretty cool sounding stuff on that one. I also like what he did on Gillian Welch's first album (Revival). That dude rocks!

What exactly does T Bone burnett do? He's a producer...and a good one...cool.

Does he engineer at all? Or does he just help artists arrange their songs/instrumentation...

Define what it should sound like?

What does this man do! hehe.

I couldn't find much info on him so I dont know how involved he is. He is a good guitar player and plays on lot of artists as well as his own stuff.

He married singer Sam Phillips and has been doing her and her albums for about 10yrs. Her voice is an aquired taste but there is some cool acoustic pop, beatlish stuff on her albums.

He just won the academy award for the "Oh, Brother" soundtrack.

Oooooh Counting Crows!!!

What exactly do you want to know? There is much information about this record to be found if you know the right places. I am a HUGE Counting Crows and T-Bone Burnett fan.
You wanted info on the drums and bass, well

The album was recorded in a HUGE house in the hollywood hills. The band lives in a house when they do an album and they record usually in a dining or ball room which has a natural reverb of between 2-3 seconds. Most of the songs on the album were already recorded once at Dave Bryson's (The only guitarist for the band at the time) studio in SF. The drums were miced with SM-57s mostly, I think. The bass player (matt) uses SWR cabs and mics them, though I don't know what mic he uses. And he usually play fretless, which gives a different sound. An Ampeg SVT classic head and matching 8X10 cabinet also are in his rig, which he uses when not playing fretless.

i have a couple articles up on my site, but www.annabegins.com has a ton of info on the band and if you really dig, you can find some good artilces about the group as musicians, not about Adam and his personal life.

http://www.cs.bsu.edu/~stahnke/music_com/

--MIKE

all analog eh, poot :)

Hmm, did not know he was married to Sam Phillips.

I am very familiar with her becuase she does the music for "Gilmore Girls" - that chick show on the WB that I uhh...don't watch....

I downloaded some of her stuff once, like it a lot.

oh, so in other words, T Bone just stands around as the voice of reason and makes the big bucks huh?

My feeling on his grammy for o brother was since it was various artists....he had to make sure that everything flowed together right, and that there was the right song selection and such..

and coordinating to do everyones tracks, making sure the engineering was consistent throughout...

I figured that was his big job on o brother - thoughts?

T-bone gives a lot of vision and thought to the songs. Often times the artist has an idea about the feeling and portrayal of the song, but then the producer shapes it into something on the next level, more of a maturity process.

On August, Omaha started out as a rockin song, then they brought in the accordian and slowed it down and completely changed the feel of it...that's some vision.

--MIKE

what is that deep bass hit on Omaha? Also on Mr. Jones...and a few other places on the album...

It almost sounds like a subsonic bass sample from a Dr. Dre album...

I assume they wouldn't synth it - some kind of orchestral drum I guess?

You know, I was thinking about that bass hit more and I think it is just really close micing on the bass drum. They might have used a bigger bass drum, but I think there might just be some close micing and eq. I could be completely wrong though...

--MIKE

Back