Are corners bad for monitors?

studiomaster

I have one monitor placed at a corner of my studio and the other placed around a metre away from the adjacent wall. The monitor on the corner gives off a lot of bass even if i'm really close from it. and when i stay far away from both the monitors, the one on the corner sounds less bassy and the other one sounds, well, normal. did i make a mistake by placing the monitor at the corner? but is it true that bass builds up when speakers are placed in a corner?

studiomaster said:
I have one monitor placed at a corner of my studio and the other placed around a metre away from the adjacent wall. The monitor on the corner gives off a lot of bass even if i'm really close from it. and when i stay far away from both the monitors, the one on the corner sounds less bassy and the other one sounds, well, normal. did i make a mistake by placing the monitor at the corner? but is it true that bass builds up when speakers are placed in a corner?
Yep, bad idea.

$.02

yes bas will build up in the corner... ya think maybe there's a reason the traps are installed there??? seems like your progressing to the point where ya might want to check out the acoustics type threads... good luck..

But I do have bass traps on the corners...the monitor at the corner is really close to where the two walls meet. the other monitor is far away.

the problem is you're not going to be able to determine how much bass you really have.

if that's your only choice, compensate the bottom with EQ. also, you may have early reflection issues and asymmetrical reflections.

if the dimensions of your room are multiples, it's compounding this further.

Keiffer said:
the problem is you're not going to be able to determine how much bass you really have.

if that's your only choice, compensate the bottom with EQ. also, you may have early reflection issues and asymmetrical reflections.

if the dimensions of your room are multiples, it's compounding this further.

You think I really should get an EQ for my monitors? The pros in this forum doesn't recommend EQ's to adjust monitor frequencies.... :confused:

An EQ is only useful if you have diagnosed the problems with the room and cut/boosted in the appropriate places, but even that won't get you very far. It'd be a better idea to seek acoustic treatment.

I'm under the impression that it takes a very deep amount of bass trapping to 'eliminate' a wall (or corner in this case). And if you had that much space to play with, it could be just as well used to keep the monitor out away from the wall in the first place?
Wayne

studiomaster said:
You think I really should get an EQ for my monitors? The pros in this forum doesn't recommend EQ's to adjust monitor frequencies.... :confused:
No I don't unless it's the last alternative. If the corner is your only location, then somehow you'll need to accommodate the problem of being there.

Moving is the first recommendation. Can you position yourself caddy-corner so each speaker is equi-distant from the corner and the adjacent walls, and so you get about the same amount of early reflections per adjacent wall. You could also Bass Trap the corner you're facing.

studiomaster said:
Unfortunately, no. :o

then what?

Like what was said above, I'd put the desk itself in the corner instead of the speaker. That way both speakers are equidistant...and put a bass trap behind it as well so that it doesn't really become a corner anymore.

Also, I agree to avoid using an EQ to correct your monitors. More often than not this creates problems elsewhere in the room with more frequencies.

But currently, if i place bass traps, will the problem be solved? my so-called bass traps are too thin to absorb bass. it's only like 2" thick.

it'll certainly help...but it probably won't COMPLETELY correct the problem...

how far are the monitors from the walls behind them?

studiomaster said:
But currently, if i place bass traps, will the problem be solved? my so-called bass traps are too thin to absorb bass. it's only like 2" thick.

well, 2" isn't thin. It's the recommended size to start off with. 2-4"
What really matters is the material they're made of. What is this "so-called bass trap" material?

bennychico11 said:
well, 2" isn't thin. It's the recommended size to start off with. 2-4"
What really matters is the material they're made of. What is this "so-called bass trap" material?

it's rockwool...i got it from Home depot. I think it's called Safe n Sound.

orksnork...the monitor is around 8" from the wall.

I'm of the opinion that monitors should be set up in a room so that they have the identical relation to surrounding walls and corners. If you have one in a corner and the other out in the room ....... they'll never sound the same. You can bass trap all you want but there are other issues such as early reflections and such. To get a stable stereo image they need to be set up the same. I make that one of the first things I decide on and then put the board and electronics around that.

yeah I agree with Lt Bob. most studio pics, you'll notice, its all measured out with everything centered and equal in space as they can get it.

very engineering like. EE triangle and all that. The ruler/tape measure are used. there's 2 more cents. you almost have a nickel now.

in short, balance the room, center things the best you can... at least for your EE triangle. That should help make your speakers sound the same.

if the one in the corner sounds "less bassy", as you stated, you might be witnessing cancellations.

Back