Convolution Reverb: All the rave....

tubedude

Anyone tried this SIR reverb thingy yet? Anyone know exactly what the impulses are or how they are generated. Or what convolution actually is?
This seems to be the ultimate wave of the future, and right now its free.
Any info would be appreciated.

Heres a link to some discussion (and not a bad word I beleive)
bruahaha

NOt a word eh?

Did I mention that you can get PCM91 quality reverbs and even better with this technology, and its FREEWARE right now?

I'm trying to get my hands on it right now. Reviews will follow, eventually.

The whole modelling movement is based on convolution and impulses. Impulses are basically the acoustic signature of a "sound". Such as the reverb of a room or the "signature sound" of a piece of gear.

I think the concept is great and I've been using impulses for years now. I've used impulses for video production to do vocal overdubs and match the location sound. I've also used impulses of guitar amps and recording gear.. mics, pre's, comps, tape machines, etc.

Generating impulses isn't hard at all, but you need is an accurate mic and good playback system. The shure sm81 seems to be one of the preffered mics. I've got some instructions on generating impulses if you're interested.

Sonic Foundry had a plugin called Acoustic Mirror that did the same thing. I think they later integrated it into Sound Forge 5.0 and above.

Cool Edit Pro has always had a function called Convolution which is also basically the same thing.

Oh, I've used convolution for years in DSP. I just haven't played with the SIR product yet (;-). That'll be good fun! And thanks for the kind words...

It'll be interesting to see what the resolution and depth of the commonly available impulse response files exhibit. At an old employer back in the 80s, I had access to very good files for several venues that I wish I still had access to: Boston's Symphony Hall comes immediately to mind. I'd like to try some of the old high-horsepower research impulse response files in the new modeling technologies. It's just a data conversion issue...

Ahh, well. I'll get around to it as time permits. In any case, it sounds to me as if SIR is worth checking out!

i'd love to swap impulses with ya.... errrr... that can totally be taken out of context.

I have quite a few of the sound forge impulses of some famous halls/venues around the world. Quite a few gear impulses as well.

Back