Controller - making music (piano/drums)

conamor

Hello community,

Quick question.
I would like to add piano or/and drums to voice and guitar. How should I proceed?
Does Reaper offer piano and drums?
Should I use Garage Band instead?
What kind of keyboard I should get? Because I suppose that this will be easier?

I was looking at the M-Audio Axiom 49, there is a Pro version too... Any recommendations?

This is a midi keyboard, but I suppose that it can reproduce real piano/drums as good as if I had one physically? Do the sounds come with the controller?

My current setup is
- Interface: Scarlet Focusrite 2i2
- Condenser MIC: Audio Technica AT2020
- Headphones: ATM-M50
- Studio Monitors: M-Audio AV40
- Mics: 2 x GLS ES57 (same as Shure SM57)
- Usually use Reaper to record

Thanks!

Reaper is a DAW (recording software), it has MIDI recording capability, but you need to use a VSTi (virtual instrument) plug-in to "create" the sound (piano, drums or any other instrument). You can create the MIDI file either by 'drawing' the notes on a MIDI piano roll or by playing them from a controller such as the M-Audio 49. That controller (and other MIDI/USB controllers) don't have built-in sounds. More expensive keyboards have both MIDI capability and internal sounds which can be played back from a MIDI sequencer/recorder (like Reaper).

Oh thanks, are VSTi free or we have to buy those (I suppose we do). Any recommendation?
How is the controller I am thinking of? Should I get something else? like Akai? or maybe cheaper?

Or does garage band have the VSTi sound?

There are free VSTi's out there, but the best ones cost money. Don't have any experience wiht MIDI control keyboards, look at the online reviews

Back