Thread: connecting an amp directly to a mixer

johndee1303 is offline Newbie

Question connecting an amp directly to a mixer

Sign in to disable this ad
    i record songs for my band i dont really have much money so i record guitars micing a Crate FXT120 Guitar Combo Amp with an SM58 microphone.. i found out that if i connect the guitar to the pedal and the output to the pedal straight into the mixer (the mixer by the way is a behringer eurorack ub1202) and the mixer to my computer i get a clearer sound.

i tried this by connectthing the amp straight into the mixer but its way distorted of course even when the amp is at a low level i was wondering if there was a way to do this without getting a distorted sound thanks

solo.guitar is offline Dedicated Member
    I would suggest mic'ing an amp, even if the amp and/or mic aren't that great. It sounds much more realistic.

But if you want to go direct, hooking it into the mixer will work, but it would be best to get a direct box, or just hook the output straight into your recording interface (soundcard, or whatever you're using), bypassing the mixer's preamps.

If you're getting a lot of noisy distoriton, you could be clipping your mixer's preamp, so try messing with the faders and turning the input volume down.

Also make sure that the mixer is hooked into the LINE IN of your soundcard (assuming that's what you're using), instead of the MIC IN, as the MIC IN has it's own preamp, and you could be clipping this as well.

I'm having a similar problem. I know I should be miking my amp, but I have certain constraints which prevent me from being able to do so, so I run my pedals directly into the mixer. I'm noticing that my tone is overly bright. I've tried different combinations of guitars, pedals and digital processors, but I still get the overly bright, almost whiney sound. I've checked my tuning and I'm in tune. This leads me to the conclusion that

A: I'm not matching the pitch to which I recorded the rhythm track, so I sound out of tune

or

B: This is the result of not micing an amp and sending the signal directly to the mixer.

Can anyone confirm option "B", and if so, is there anything I can do to alleviate the problem?

tubesrawsom is offline BE HAPPY!
    i think you will have better luck with the 58.
    [CENTER] Iron What?[/CENTER]

superspit is offline idiots unite!
    I hit a live electric bass repeatedly with a maraca, so I needed to mic the maraca and the bass amp at the same time.
    Quote Originally Posted by tubesrawsom
    i think you will have better luck with the 58.
    or a V-amp or POD??
    G.F.C.G. membership #:000038.
    "I love sitting at a big console with blinking lights and knobs and feel like Mr.Sulu on the bridge of the Enterprise"
    my shit!
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=742373
    www.myspace.com/obzcure

johndee1303 is offline Newbie
    hey my guitar player bought a Vox ToneLab today and i have to say it made his crappy 15 watt crate amp sound nice were gonna recrd with that.

thanks for ur replys

Thread Information