compression question

LMSone

Hi all. Recording novice here, so I'm seeking advice. I know in general you should apply effects AFTER recording as dry a signal as possible. What about compression? I suppose it would make sense to use it in recording, right? Or would you reccomend only using it for certain instruments (ie, drums)? Also, if you use compression in recording, does that mean you shouldn't use it in mixdown?
Thanks! Any and all advice is appreciated.

LMSone said:
I know in general you should apply effects AFTER recording as dry a signal as possible.

Though this is a good idea for beginners, I would NOT recommend this. I would recommend that you learn how to use processing creatively, and that means that sometimes you lay down the track with the effects already there. Not always, but I do not like to limit my options in this way.

LMSone said:
What about compression? I suppose it would make sense to use it in recording, right? Or would you reccomend only using it for certain instruments (ie, drums)?

Most of the compression I do is while recording. The original purpose of compression was to improve the level of signal to tape, and thus improve the signal to noise ratio. This should be the primary use for compression.

What I call "creative" compression I usually do while mixing. This includes things like compression for distortion and other effects of similar sort, adding punch to a kick drum, or any of a number of other uses which are used to improve the mix.

LMSone said:
Also, if you use compression in recording, does that mean you shouldn't use it in mixdown?

Not at all. Compression serves many different purposes. Part of learning to use compression is learning to use it in appropriate ways at every stage of recording. The other part is learning when not to use it.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

LMSOne:
i record in digital and i prefer to only compress at the mix stage. i prefer to get the signal as hot as possible sans compression since tape saturation is of no concern to me.

the only time i use compression during tracking is when i'm dealing with an artist who lacks dynamics control. in which case a compressor (i have one) with a built in limiter (wish i had one) would be ideal for digital recording.

Light:
the telephone line was "originally intended" to carry analog signals, but now it carries DSL... (just busting your b*lls buddy, all in good fun).

With analog compression you can tame the signal before the A/D converter when recording . In the case of digital compression (after the A/D conversion), the signal-to-noise ratio is remains constant unless you add noise digitally and it doesn't matter if you compress when recording or wait to mixing.

Steve

I believe you can get great results either way by recording dry or wet. I personally feel you are better off in most cases recording dry. That way you can always go back and change the effect or amount of applied effect later on a particular track if you have reason to want to. I have done that many times, during the building of a song where I have wanted to go back and tweak or change an effect after more tracks were recorded. What sounds good all by itself may not sound as good when thrust into the overall mix. As for compression I use it a lot and usually will apply after I EQ'ed the track.

Re: Re: compression question

Light said:
Though this is a good idea for beginners, I would NOT recommend this. I would recommend that you learn how to use processing creatively, and that means that sometimes you lay down the track with the effects already there. Not always, but I do not like to limit my options in this way.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

when you said you shouldn't limit your options, wouldn't adding compression/effects on the track before the mix down be limiting your options?? Because then if you want it dry later, your kinda screwed... Oh and i'm not trying to be a smart ass here, i know you know more than i because i'm a newbie at this, but i was just curious if i misunderstood or what?!? And the rest of what you said i agree with competley, i just got a bit confused. Thanks

~andrew

If you plan to compress during tracking, DO NOT compress drum tracks that need to be gated. If you are like me and you are a compression freak, you will have some problems with false gates, depending on how much isolation the drum mic has.

Back