combo jacks on recording interfaces

KingHarvest

I have a MOTU 8pre USB. If I’m reading my manual correctly (please correct me if I’m wrong) the ¼ inputs on this unit are instrument level inputs, not line level inputs.
One of the things I would like to do in the future is to aquire some external preamps, so in order to use one I will need line level inputs.
So I’ve been looking at other units to use in conjunction w/the 8pre’s ADAT in/out because I am in a band & need 8 tracks at minimum to properly track drums. We normally all play together to capture the drum track, then record the bass, drums & vocs after we’ve tracked the drums, so having additional tracks available would be really nice in case somebody nails the bass line or guitar part on that take. So I really would like to have at least an additional 4 tracks anyway in other words, but having another 8 is awesome too.
Initially I thought I might pick up the MOTU 828 when I was ready to expand from the 8pre, but I’m questioning whether or not that’s my best bet. The reason being I won’t be able to buy a bunch of quality external preamps and the 828 all at the same time. I’ll have to kind of aquire individual pieces, so I would need to buy the 828 first, but if I do that there will be a lapse of who knows how long between then & when I could afford a preamp. So I would prefer something that I could get SOME use out of in the meantime.
So I’ve been looking hard at the Audient ASP800 because it has ADAT, great preamps, and the HDX & Iron controls on channels 1 & 2, so that provides me a broader palate than I currently have and it won’t just sit in the rack until I can afford some preamps to use with it.
But I’m unclear on what these combo jacks really do on units like the ASP800. Do they actually bypass the preamp when the manufacturer says it is a line input? Is it different from unit to unit, manufacturer to manufacturer?
I want to know the answer with regard to the ASP800, but I haven’t made a final decision & I would like to look around a little more, but this question keeps hanging me up.
Also if any of you have or are know of any other units that will meet my needs I’d love to have your suggestions. Sorry for writing a book, thanks for reading & thanks in advance for any advice/suggestions/input!

Hi,
Yeah, there's no real rule but the general trend seems to be that combo inputs claiming line-in options generally just pad down the mic preamp.
The evidence is in whether or not the gain knob has effect when you're using line in.

Generally, the units which have completely discreet line input options will usually have them as totally separate physical inputs, usually round the back.
No gain knobs, no switches, no options - just line in/analog in.
Well.....Sometimes you'll get a +4/-10 operation switch but that'll be the height of it.

I don't know for certain, but I'd bet the Audient 'line inputs' are padded and through the preamps.
The motu 828, for example, has completely discreet line inputs. (I have one).

I'd separate the two different approaches.
Either buy something with 8 preamps that you want to use and adat output, or buy converters and preamps separately.
I wouldn't buy something with 8 preamps and adat output hoping to use other preamps with it, 'cos you'll usually run into this same question.

Just so you know, Focusrite also have units with 8 preamps and an adat digital output card.
I think the digital output card is an add on, or an option, so if you're buying used make sure the card is installed.

thanks for the reply, sorry it took so long for me to get back on here. anyway, i think i'm just going to do as you said, aquire a couple more inputs i can use w/adat for the time being, then at some point in the future maybe i can pick up the 828. thanks again!

I really wouldn't sweat the attenuated mic to line input idea, especially when implemented by such people as Audient and Focusrite.

The attenuating resistors are going to do nothing to the signal but attenuate so the only real drawback is the noise of the mic pre but where are you going to find a line source, with a -90dBu ish noise floor?

And I am not being snotty but recording a rock band? The bloody amps will make more noise than the recording gear!

For sure, IF you were recording a cello sonata in a super quiet room with a glorious acoustic with a $6000 pair of ribbons you would be foolish not to get the cleanest path possible but rock and roll, even jazz?

Note too that just because the line jacks are on the back this does not necessarily mean there is a separate line amp.

Dave.

Back