click tracks?

justwantyou2kno

I've always recorded bands live in my modest home studio, but I want to start experimenting with recording with click tracks. I guess I'll figure out the tempo of the song, then record a click track, then have the whole band play the song but only be recording drums. Then The band can overdub their parts seperatly, that sound right? I've looked on the forum and it seems like alot of people are using drums machines to make click tracks, but are there devices out there that are made specifically for recording click tracks? I'd like to stay away from computers/software if possible, and of course I don't have that much to spend.

Would a metronome work? I've been thinking about this myself and I recently read about how Emmit Rhodes laid down a metronome on the fourth track of his four track first when he recorded his debut solo album. Perhaps it's an option.

Just my opinion, but I don't like using click tracks at all. Too often the drummer doesn't listen to or follow it very well, and even when he does, I find the process of piecing everything together like legos to yield pretty crappy results. It's not natural for the players either, which can rob the session of enthusiasm and flow, and ulitimately destroy the vibe/songs. Sorry - I know you didn't ask my opinion on this...:D Anyway, when I do happen to do it, we just set up a cheap little drum machine. Works great... if the frickin' drummer can play to it.

Just out of curiosity - why do you want to start using click tracks?

I want to use a click track cause it seems easier. How I do things now if the guitarist screws up fairly bad everyone has to do the songs over, even though the bassist might of just had the take of his life. If I record a click track we can take it instrument by instrument and get a much better song..hopefully.

Fair enough... it makes sense if you're constantly running into problems like that. I'll typically let them spend ~20 minutes starting and stopping b/c of mistakes, and then cut it off and move on to another song. If it aint happening, it aint happening. Often, after working on something else, a band can go back and knock the shit out of it like they've been doing it their whole lives. Then again, it could just be they're not ready.

Mark 7, you're familiar with Emmit Rhodes? My Gawd, I thought I was the only one in the world with his first album! That stuff is cool! All recorded at home in the early seventies! I think he and Todd Rundgren must be the true pioneers of what we're trying to do now.

Love Will Stone You!

Twist

for certain kinds of music you wouldn't want to use click tracks, for other kinds it is essential. so it all depends what you are doing. it also enables you to fly in parts from one section of a song to another with complete accuracy and synchronization.

often when recording on some sort of DAW, the click is generated within the software so that tempo changes can be incorporated.

twist said:
Mark 7, you're familiar with Emmit Rhodes? My Gawd, I thought I was the only one in the world with his first album! That stuff is cool! All recorded at home in the early seventies! I think he and Todd Rundgren must be the true pioneers of what we're trying to do now.

Love Will Stone You!

Twist

Yeah! But I'm kinda new to his ouevre (I borrowed a friend's copy of his first LP and thought it was pretty groovy. I have to get my own).

I visited the site run by one of his fans the other day. He had some photos from a visit to Emmit's place. And guess what!? He's still recording in the garage!

You could also blame Emmit and Todd for all the cheap-ass gear knocking around! <g>

As a drummer I have played to click tracks since the late 70's. The key to a workable click track is something that grooves. While it is possible to play to a stright 1/4 or 1/8 note click, it is not completely natural.

However, a drum machine that has a "grove made up from say a tambourine/shaker/cowbell is much easier to play to (certianly easier than a metronome.

mikeh said:
As a drummer I have played to click tracks since the late 70's. The key to a workable click track is something that grooves. While it is possible to play to a stright 1/4 or 1/8 note click, it is not completely natural.

However, a drum machine that has a "grove made up from say a tambourine/shaker/cowbell is much easier to play to (certianly easier than a metronome.

you know that really makes sense.. I will have to try that instead of the single hit click.. Thanks for the advice...!

Any suggestions on a piece of gear thats not software or a drum machine that'll be good for recording click tracks? Are there any certain metronomes out there, that have a line out or something for recording click tracks???

There are some units (I know Boss in particular has a decent one) which are smal metronomes equipped with both a small speaker and a mini-plug jack for headphones. They are about $30 if I recall.

I too am familiar with Emmit Rhodes, but only because of the Tape Op article on him this month (definitely worth reading!!!)

As for the click, it'll either work, or it won't, and it all comes down to the drummer. If he/she doesn't have any experience playing to a click, don't expect it to work in the studio!!!

-mg

Click track

One idea I've been toying with is going through the entire song with a click and laying down a scratch guitar track to the click. Then having my drummer play to me and then lay the remaining tracks. Im more comfortable playing with a click then he is so it seems like it should work well. ANy thoughts on this method?

I think the Boss device you're talking about is the Dr. Beat, the first one. You can choose the time signature, then any combination of quarter notes, eighth, sixteenth, triplets, and select the tempo with a dial. It has a line out and headphone out.
Not programmable for time changes or anything like that though.

Back