Click Track Program (with tempo changes)

Nathra7

Hello!

This is my first post. I need help. I am pretty new to the whole world using my computer to aid in creating music. I checked through multiple pages of the forum before making this post to see if this topic was already covered but I didn't quite see the same situation/problem that I am currently facing. So if this is a duplicate post I apologize ahead of time.

What I am looking for is advice on a good program to use specifically for creating click tracks. I need it to have the functionality of being able to do tempo and time signature changes within the same song. I am used to using a Boss DR-880 to create click tracks but it's very time consuming due to the slow save function on the machine (it takes about 20-30 seconds just to save a single beat). Also the interface can be very uncomfortable when you're working on a long song. It would be awesome if there was software version of the DR-880 that I could control with a keyboard and mouse. I need the click tracks for an upcoming recording project that I'll be doing in a professional studio. So I need to do click tracks and scratch guitars prior going in to save on studio time. If there is freeware that you can suggest that would be awesome but I'll take whatever advice you can give me. I downloaded Audacity and it seems to have a click track feature but I'm not sure how to do things like make the tempo speed up or slow down over a specified amount of beats like it is possible to do with most drum machines. Can you please help me out?

It's called a DAW. They all do it. Pick one.

Audacity isn't a multiple track recording software solution, though it has its uses. Get the proper tools.

It's called a DAW. They all do it. Pick one.

Audacity isn't a multiple track recording software solution, though it has its uses. Get the proper tools.

Okay, I don't think you read my post because you didn't answer my question. If I knew which "tools" to pick I wouldn't be here. I may be new to digital recording but I am very familiar with online forums and how they work. If you're not going to be helpful then please just don't contribute to this post. Also you don't have to make a sad attempt to talk down to me. A "DAW" is just term. Throwing around terminology means nothing in helping me out in this situation if you don't make an effort to suggest WHICH DAW to use.

I'm not trying to be difficult trouble maker but I really don't have the patience to deal with individuals like yourself. Can someone else please offer some advice?

Okay, I don't think you read my post because you didn't answer my question. If I knew which "tools" to pick I wouldn't be here. I may be new to digital recording but I am very familiar with online forums and how they work. If you're not going to be helpful then please just don't contribute to this post. Also you don't have to make a sad attempt to talk down to me. A "DAW" is just term. Throwing around terminology means nothing in helping me out in this situation if you don't make an effort to suggest WHICH DAW to use.

I'm not trying to be difficult trouble maker but I really don't have the patience to deal with individuals like yourself. Can someone else please offer some advice?

You're a bit sensitive there my man. I answered your question. If you google "DAW" you'll understand what it is if you don't know - perhaps try that before you go leaping all over me and calling me names. I assumed that knowledge because you posted in the recording forum. My bad. If you posted in "Newbies" where perhaps your question belongs I might have been more explanatory.

My point is that any multi-track recording program, which is what you'll probably need if you're going to record scratch guitar tracks, will have a tempo map with time signature and tempo changes - team that up with some basic freebie drum software if you want actual drum sounds and you're good to go.

Suggest you chill a little.:thumbs up:

Oh, and welcome.;)

This:

any multi-track recording program, which is what you'll probably need if you're going to record scratch guitar tracks, will have a tempo map with time signature and tempo changes - team that up with some basic freebie drum software if you want actual drum sounds and you're good to go.

I'd recommend Reaper as a program. Two reasons: (1) I reckon it is easy to learn, and (2) I use it.

And this:
Oh, and welcome.;)

Nathra7, I thought the advice given was ok but it seems you have a very long road ahead of you.

If you are going to a "professional studio" then they would be able to whip up a click track before you could even finish asking the question so its not likely to take up any significant studio time. If you really have to make one yourself, you can use the built in metronome with tempo changes in the appropriate places. Then you can set up a drum track with just hi-hat taps as a click track.

I'd also recommend looking into getting a computer, but if it was me, I would learn how to programme the drum machine so you can create a click track with the changes built in, this is what I used to do, generally only the higher end drum machines do this and they used to have memory banks that you could patch together, the other option is to write out the tune in music notation so that you can clearly see the changes and get the studio to programme that in, but obviously time is money.

This:

I'd recommend Reaper as a program. Two reasons: (1) I reckon it is easy to learn, and (2) I use it.

And this:

Thank you very much for the advice! I really appreciate your input and will definitely be taking a stab at using the Reaper program.

Nathra7, I thought the advice given was ok but it seems you have a very long road ahead of you.

If you are going to a "professional studio" then they would be able to whip up a click track before you could even finish asking the question so its not likely to take up any significant studio time. If you really have to make one yourself, you can use the built in metronome with tempo changes in the appropriate places. Then you can set up a drum track with just hi-hat taps as a click track.

When you're are dealing with creating clocks for an entire albums worth of music that has multiple time signatures and changes within each song it's not that easy to whip up a click track in a few minute weather you're a "professional studio" engender or just some guy who does home recordings in his basement. Nice try though!

---------- Update ----------

I'd also recommend looking into getting a computer, but if it was me, I would learn how to programme the drum machine so you can create a click track with the changes built in, this is what I used to do, generally only the higher end drum machines do this and they used to have memory banks that you could patch together, the other option is to write out the tune in music notation so that you can clearly see the changes and get the studio to programme that in, but obviously time is money.

Thank you for the input!

When you're are dealing with creating clocks for an entire albums worth of music that has multiple time signatures and changes within each song it's not that easy to whip up a click track in a few minute weather you're a "professional studio" engender or just some guy who does home recordings in his basement. Nice try though!

Actually, it is pretty damn easy to whip up a click track for a track. For a whole album it would take a bit more time of course.

For example, in Reaper, I would:

1 create a track
2 add a drum vsti
3 create a midi loop with a basic drum pattern, then extend this out for four or five minutes
4 go through from the start and using Shift C, insert tempo and time signature changes where required.

done.

But, most likely, I would add one other step, which would take more time, and that is to add a basic keyboard track to show the structure of the song. It's easier then to know where you are and where to place temp and time signature changes.

Seriously? Learn the terminology? lol! Yeah, whatever.

Yes, learn it.

It actually is. I record long songs that have enough of both time signature changes and tempo changes to make Dream Theatre get sweaty.
I can put them all in in less than 3 minutes. It really is that easy once you know how to do it. Usually it's two clicks.
"Insert Time Signature -> OK"

What's up with this bitch attitude?

Back