Cheapest/most effective way of recording drums (possibly using what I have)

k396s

Hey all,

I have been recording drums for songs I have written for years now using my mobile pre two channel preamp, garage band and combination of a Senheiser e825 and Sure (forget number) mics. Sometimes it doesn't come out half bad when I really take the time to get everything set right, but other times it sounds terrible. Even at its best, I have never been able to get the sound I was looking for. I really want the best quality drum sound I can get as it is the foundation of the song. Hearing a clean, crisp, powerful sounding drum track just makes me want to record guitar over it. Also, the adjustability of a multi-track/multiple mic recording setup would be great as I always have problems with one drum/cymbal being too loud/too quiet/too tinny with no ability to adjust.

Anyway, my biggest issue is budget as I am a graduate student and have to work 20+ hours a week at an internship for free in addition to my full time classes. It leaves me with only enough time to wrench on cars at a local shop to just barely pay the bills. I was thinking of spending a little money I have saved up on some drum recording gear. I understand I would probably be best waiting and saving up more to get some good stuff, but I am not getting any younger and have been waiting years to record a full album to at least half decent standards. I really don't know when I will have any more money to spend than I do now.

I was thinking of buying one of the highly rated, 7 piece drum mic kits from Guitar Center for around $200. I just don't know of the cheapest/best way to make this work with my setup. I know I will need a mixer so I can record all the tracks, but will I need to buy a mixer with a pre-amp or can I use my mobile pre for any of this? Do you guys think this can all be done for around $400-500 if getting good deals on the drum mic, finding maybe a used mixer etc...?

Thanks!

Right now you can get a Tascam US-1800 interface for 180 dollars. You might be alb to get them used for a bit less. There is a lot of buzz about it here on the forum.
In terms of mics I would invest the most money on overheads. If you get a pair of LDC's they can double as vocal mics. A used pair of Oktava MK-219's can be had for about 200 bucks. These are great mics that can be modded to sound even better.
People seem to like the CAD Premium mic kits. You can get the 4 piece kits used for under 100 bucks.
Get a used SM57 for snare. This will double as a great guitar mic.

I realize this is a teensy bit more than you are looking to spend probably around 550 but I can't stress enough how important good overheads are. They are the foundation of your drum sound. Plus they can double as vocal mics and whatnot.

Oh and search "cad pro" on used.guitarcenter.com right now there are a bunch of the 7 piece kits for 100 bucks and a 4 piece kit for 70. The condensers aren't the best but everything else is pretty solid.

Yeah I guess I'm going with these guys on the US1800/cad combo. If you put any money anywhere I vote spending more on the small diaphragm condenser mics.

Yeah with close mics you can get away with using a lot more EQ and will probably have to regardless so using a cheaper mic isn't the end of the world. On overheads good mics are important. I say go for Oktavas. They can be modded fairly easily which I plan to do with mine once I plan to do to mine once I get the guts.

+ for the good overheads, I would then say decent kick and snare mic. Snare mic will pick up the Toms if you decide to play them. I bout a 7 piece Audix on E-bay for about $200, they are OK, not crazy about the condenser mics.

Thank you everyone!!

So what I am getting here is I should pick up a US-1800 as the preamp/mixer

A CAD Pro 7 or 4 piece mic kit

And a set of better condenser mics for the overheads? I like the idea of getting good compressor mics that can double for vocal recording (or even guitar recording) as that is something I'll be wanting to do as well soon. VOX recording is just not as urgent as I have a buddy who does mixing/producing in the city for SONY and he has a few pro sound booths I can use for VOX recording if needed. I just never get a mix good enough that I even want to record VOX to with the current recording gear I have lol

If the used CAD pro 4 piece is $70 on guitar center and the 7 piece is only $30 more, I am thinking for the sake of not going into bankruptcy I should pick up the 7 piece and use the provided overheads for now. This could give me a little time to save up for the best set of overheads I can get that can double as a vocal mic as well.

How does this sound (no pun intended). I appreciate all of your guidance!

Go for the 7 piece. It will get you going for sure. Down the line you easily sell the cad condensers on craigslist for $40 and put that towards a good set :D.

Thank you JG! I just ordered a used US1800 and the used CAD pro 7 piece set from guitar center for less than $300 shipped with a 1 year warranty on the US18. Just wondering , my best bet would be to use the mic inputs I am guessing (i believe I will need the phantom power for the condenser mics anyway) or can I get away with using some of the line inputs? I only ask because I only have one mic cable but a whole bunch of guitar cables to use. Buying a few more mic cables wouldn't be a problem though.

Awesome. Always down to help a fellow student. The US-1800 and the CAD pro 7 kit is a great way to get started on drums. You can sometimes get away with using dynamic mics through line inputs but you are going to need XLR's to connect to the mics regardless. I just buy cheap mic cables and solder them if they crap out.

Awesome. Always down to help a fellow student. The US-1800 and the CAD pro 7 kit is a great way to get started on drums. You can sometimes get away with using dynamic mics through line inputs but you are going to need XLR's to connect to the mics regardless. I just buy cheap mic cables and solder them if they crap out.

Doh! forgot that they would use the XLR output and not line out. No biggie, I spent a little less than I thought I'd have to so I getting some cheap cables shouldn't be a problem. I can't wait to get this stuff, set it up and start recording! Thanks again! I'll try to get some recordings up when I get it all set up to help anyone out who may be looking to do a similar budget setup.

So I am back...with questions lol. I received all the parts, set up my room, bought some $3 dollar each 10' XLR cables from guitar center and thought I was ready to go until I realized my US-1800 didn't come with a power adapter. After getting the run around from the West LA Guitar Center store that shipped it, a friendly customer service rep from guitar center help hotline finally helped me out, saw that it was wrong to be shipped a product without a power adapter and shipped one out to me second day air. As soon as it arrives today, I should be ready to go. But one problem...

My CAD pro kit did not come with an instruction manual. I couldn't find one online, but I'd imagine it is all pretty straight forward. The only thing I could use some help with is exactly how/where I should mount these mics, at least just to get a baseline starting point.

I tried to find some on google, but couldn't find any quick, helpful articles on giving a general idea as to where to place drum mics and overheads for good sound. Seems like a lot of variables....for example I can mount the tom mics on the outside of the toms, but then they are close to my cymbals, I can place them on the insides of my toms but then they are close to each other, i can aim the mics downward into the drum or aim them outward into the center of the head. As for overheads, I have them mounted a few feet above all my cymbals kind of centered on either side of the bass drum, but I am wondering if this will be bad for picking up the hi-hat.

I'm sure I will figure most of this out just from messing around, but if anyone can steer me to a good starting point or provide some tips on drum mic placement fundamentals it would help me out a lot !

Thanks JG and everyone else who posted for all the help on this. I am soooo close to recording

It's all about experimentation. The way you angle the mics and how far you place them from the drums alters the sound and how much bleed you are getting. If it is a cardioid mic it rejects the most sound at 180 degrees. A hypercardioid rejects the most sound at 110 degrees.

Good luck on your recordings k396s, I hope you make killer records there!

One good thing about having not much resources at first, is...you will get the chance to learn with your limitations. I've been recording with a Presonus 44VSL, and with only 4 preamps, I'm pretty pleased with the results!

I've seen an interview with Butch Vig where he says that having 4 channels made him learn the dynamics and how to listen to and record a drumkit with more than that later on his life.

The thing to remember with miking drums is that tuning the drums can have a bigger impact than fiddling with mic positions. Often, these are dictated by the need to use the rear nulls to prevent too much leakage. Experimentation really is the key - good advice. kick snare overhead can sound great on a decent jazz kit, while a mic per drum is another rule for a cheaper rock kit played meatily. Remember to try subtractive eq, cut what you don't want to give separation, using boost only when it's needed. Have fun.

So I am back...with questions lol. I received all the parts, set up my room, bought some $3 dollar each 10' XLR cables from guitar center and thought I was ready to go until I realized my US-1800 didn't come with a power adapter. After getting the run around from the West LA Guitar Center store that shipped it, a friendly customer service rep from guitar center help hotline finally helped me out, saw that it was wrong to be shipped a product without a power adapter and shipped one out to me second day air. As soon as it arrives today, I should be ready to go.

How could you receive a new US 1800 without a power supply? I assume it was a used unit???

As far as mic placement, go for the top of the heads with the null in the high end/midrange of each mics pickup pattern at the cymbals. A SM 57 has that at about 10 degrees off axis at the back of the mic. Aim at snare with this null point at the HH's.

Kick drum mic in the shell right at the beater hit point is typical for rock drums. Some other genres prefer a softer attack so figure that on out yourself.

There is more than one way to approach overhead mics. Google that. I prefer to use two spaced mics with the snare exactly in center between them, but there are other methods that work well for others. You gotta figure that out for yourself also.

:)

The thing to remember with miking drums is that tuning the drums can have a bigger impact than fiddling with mic positions. Often, these are dictated by the need to use the rear nulls to prevent too much leakage. Experimentation really is the key - good advice. kick snare overhead can sound great on a decent jazz kit, while a mic per drum is another rule for a cheaper rock kit played meatily. Remember to try subtractive eq, cut what you don't want to give separation, using boost only when it's needed. Have fun.

Yes. Drum tuning is the #1 first step.

the CAD clip ons for close mic'ing are pretty odd, curved adjustment makes it tough but you can do it.
I prefer to use a Glynn Jihns method with an XY pair overhead, bass mic and snare mic.
Works the treat and is easy to set up.

Tuning is definitely key to get the sound you want to start with vs. trying to fix it in post.

Back