Cheap sound booth

Billisa, great ingenuity. Key word: ruffles. Not chips, but drapes. Think of your shower curtain, with peaks and valleys, more ruffles means more surface area in less space to soak up sound. If your PVC structure can handle it, I would buy more blankets and scrunch em up. I do vocals in a 4x7 room with indian blankets pinned up to make as much different surface as possible.
Jason

(*--Broken-spacebar-guys)

Hey-Billisa,

You-can-somewhat-improve-your-"Booth"-by-using-PVC--"T's"-and-"Right-Angles..45's?",so-that-the-blankets-are-hanging-on-PVC-and-not-wire.--(Just-think-of-how-it'd-fit-together-with-two-parts-of-the-T-making-the-corners-and-the-third-accepting-a-Right-Angle-to-go-straight-up.--So,-it'd-be-8-of-each-and-then-the-additional-straight-PVC-cut-to-height-,width-and-depth-of-the-"Box".)

This-extra-support-will-also-allow-you-to-make-and-hang-
a-panel-or-two-of-wood-(Or-some-hard-material)-inside-the-structure-if-you-want-to-add-(or-remove)-the-slightest-bit-of-reflection-inside-depending-what-you're-after.

The-extra-support-will-also-let-you-roof-the-box-with-material-(Like-Peg-board)-that-you-can-put-a-light-in/on...Those-little-round-battery-"Press-lites"-work-great-for-reading-lyrics-in-the-dark.

:)

Last edited:
BillyFurnett said:

Hey-Billisa,

You-can-somewhat-improve-your-"Booth"-by-using-PVC--"T's"-and-"Right-Angles..45's?",so-that-the-blankets-are-hanging-on-PVC-and-not-wire.--(Just-think-of-how-it'd-fit-together-with-two-parts-of-the-T-making-the-corners-and-the-third-accepting-a-Right-Angle-to-go-straight-up.--So,-it'd-be-8-of-each-and-then-the-additional-straight-PVC-cut-to-height-,width-and-depth-of-the-"Box".)

a-panel-or-two-of-wood-(Or-some-hard-material)-inside-the-structure-if-you-want-to-add-(or-remove)-the-slightest-bit-of-reflection-inside-depending-what-you're-after.

The-extra-support-will-also-let-you-roof-the-box-with-material-(Like-Peg-board)-that-you-can-put-a-light-in/on...Those-little-round-battery-"Press-lites"-work-great-for-reading-lyrics-in-the-dark.

thats how i was thinking of doing it.

I chose not to use the 't's and right angles because the supply house didn't have enough at the time.

The blankets don't hang on wire, they're just secured that way to the PVC.

For light I've been using a tiny fluorescent fixture affixed to the PVC with 2" clear tape.

Hmm... let's see if I can attach another picture. If not, then there won't be one.

Attachments

• bills isobooth sm.jpg
    bills isobooth sm.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 197
BillyFurnett said:
Looks-good.

What-diameter-PVC-did-you-use,3/4?

I recollect 1 1/2" pipe. The blankets have some weight to them so I'd be careful about going with pipe that was too small.

Funny, I was watching some "behind the music" thing on VH1 and they featured the guy who sings "Your Body is a Wonderland..." (Don't know if that's the title). Anyway, they show him recording in a large Australian studio, and lo and behold, on the walls they have mover's blankets!!!

satchvaisoul said:
hey billisa.. is your studio in your attick? (spelling? :(..)

yeah, it's on my third floor that had a semi A-frame ceiling that I felt added a weird reflectivity to some vocals.

BillyFurnett said:

Hey-Billisa,

hey, im kay. and i really really like your idea. and i was wonderin if you could jus email me @ lul_kay@yahoo.com. and please...help me understand more of the materials ill need, setup, etc. it would be of great appreciation. thanks, kay

Back