Cheap possible home recording

mikedetoy

I know this question has probably been asked before a lot, but what is the best way to set home a cheap recording studio. I am a senior in high school and I am planing an independent study on recording music and making CDs. A classmate of mine and I are planing to use the talent in my school to create a CD. We have a couple of options open to us. I have acess to a board, a comp(p4 PC or a g3 mac), mics(though i need to purcase better quality mics), and other equpment. The problem is where. At my school, there are 3 sound proof rooms and that is taking the easy way out. Another option is trying to build our own room. I am open for ideas, and thank you for reading this. Also, what are the best programs for my situation and how is the basic setup. I am touring a pro studio in a week, so that should give me some ideas, but for now I am pretty much clueless. Thank you
-Mike

for a cheap setup i would recommend....

1. Vocal Mic - Shure SM58 - $90
2. Instrument Mic - Shure Sm57 or Beta57 - $90
3. Soundcard - Audiophile2496 - $119
4. Software - Cakewalk Home Studio 2004 - $89
5.Mic Preamp - M-audio Buddy - $????
6. Monitor - your choice of headphones or speaker

stay away from.....

1. Behringer mixers
2. Soundblaster soundcard
3. Zoom products

Thanks for your advice. I know I have access to a range of different quality mics at my school, so once I find out what kind they are, I will get back to you about if I need to purcase anything else. Thanks.
-Mike

.....................actually

when you're considering recording for cheap behringer mixers are a good choice. i use a behringer ub802 at home ub2442 at church and an mx3282a at a rock club i bounce and book bands for. so i disagree....behringer would be a better choice.

Re: .....................actually

distortedrumble said:
when you're considering recording for cheap behringer mixers are a good choice. i use a behringer ub802 at home ub2442 at church and an mx3282a at a rock club i bounce and book bands for. so i disagree....behringer would be a better choice.

I agree. You can acquire the basic capabilities you need to complete the project for not much money using a Behringer UB802 ($50) or even a UB502 ($40) and a commodity soundcard. Look for used Shure SM57s/SM58s in the local classifieds or ebay.

That's a great project to find out what you can do and, if you decide to get serious about it, where your money is best spent to improve the quality.

i second the use of behringer - esp. for budget use. it's great that you can get a 4 mic (in) mixer for only like 80 bucks.

Back