Chasing a sound, seeking input (reference track included)

Matt1248

Hi guys, new to the forum and trying to get back into home recording for a personal singer songwriter type project I'm working on. First I'll start with the gear I'm using, then pose my question...

Gear-
MacBook Pro
Garageband
Focusrite Scarlette 2i2
presonus tubepre
Shure sm81 (capturing acoustic guitar)
Shure sm58 (capturing vocals)
Martin HD-28 acoustic

Now, with the use of the above gear I'm chasing a sound similar to what Joe Pug had on his first EP (Nation of Heat). Links to a couple tracks below. YouTube isn't very good quality, but hopefully you can get a sense of the sound. The main thing I like about these tracks is what I'll call the "room" sound (reverb) and the vocal compression. Now I do now outboard gear was used for these tracks, it is not a natural room sound.

So are there any tips you guys can give, maybe some good plugins? My head starts swimming when I start reading about plugins!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZJtHE4TzA0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0rYC4iNiy8

Appreciation in advance.

It's a big 'ol verb (heavily tilted in one tune for some odd reason) but I'm not hearing anything special or unusual going on in there. No particular reason you couldn't produce a very similar sounding recording with what you have *ASSUMING* your SPACE is up to the task and your monitoring chain is allowing you to hear what you need to hear.

Whether the verb was outboard, plugs or true analog is -- well, it's not a "special" sounding reverb.

Garage Band...? No idea. TubePre? I'd probably leave that holding down your notes.

Otherwise, this just sounds like a very play-it-safe singer/songwriter recording. Everything is damn near mono except for giganto-verb, there's some compression going on but I'm not hearing anything with a serious signature (like a LA-2A or the like).

In a good room, with a good source, this should be absolutely no problem with a minimum of gear and basic plugs.

As in - Paperweight.

Reverb plugs... I use them so infrequently and have so few available (mastering guys generally have little use for them) that I typically only rely on Samplitude's built-in stuff. I'm assuming others may chime in...

Back