Changing BPM for power

delirium trigge

I have a question on what you guys usually do and how much you change it. Let's say I have a metal song at 160BPM and the last chorus I want to be faster to give it a more intense vibe. How many more BPM's would I go up to? Would I go up to 165? Or is that too much? I'm not talking very fast. Just barely noticeable but faster.

Anyone who has done this before do you have examples? And can you tell me how much more you increased it?

Sometimes as little as 2-4 BPM will give you that heightened sense of urgency and power without being an obvious "speed up"....but yeah, it's about the initial tempo and like other have said....what feels right.

Try a few different ones and see where it sounds the best and how far you can go before it starts to feel awkward to you.

I've heard some songs that sped up over time (intentionally). Would this be more like a quick jump?
I could see where it'd be easy for it to just be perceived as rushing' if not done right.

I think you could pull off a "quick jump" to a higher speed easily, if you do a break, and then kick it up a few notches.
Not sure how well it would go just playing straight through from one measure to the next, and punching it up several BPM at the start of a measure.

It so much about the song and the arrangement....that talking about it generically here is not going to provide the best answer.
Just gotta try it. :)

It was the vari-speed....I must have nudged it and slowed it down by 0.00000001 :facepalm:

Damn tape machine!

This is what I mean, I know what sounds right when theres a break in the song. But when there isn't, and you just want the second chorus to be faster, I understand, "Just do what feels right." But I'm wondering what usually feels right to you guys. How far do you go?

Then again, you could try one at 164.27777467 BPM and one at 165.277777468 BPM and see how it comes out.

Back