Can't Get Sounds Amplified Enough Through Headphones

heeksjim

So let's say my guitar amp is mic'd with a 57, running through my saffire pro interface through Garageband (I know I need to upgrade that) I have to really crank the input volumes and headphone volume to be able to hear the guitar coming through the headphones, but that just makes it so that i'm turning input levels too high for recording. Not really sure where to go next. :confused:

More efficient headphones can help, but if you're in the same room as the guitar, it can be hard to hear over the guitar amp itself. I often send everything else in the track temporarily to an aux and then pull that down so whatever being tracked is just a lot louder than the other tracks, without having to crank the entire mix up.

that just makes it so that i'm turning input levels too high for recording.

How do you have everything connected up? The route that your guitar signal is going through to reach your DAW should separate from the one it goes through to reach your headphone amp. Turning up your headphone amp should have no effect on the guitar signal as recorded.

Yeah, I can do a little bit of cranking the headphone levels but I have to crank them so much that it just seemed weird. I then have to turn everything else way down just to hear it a little. I just thought there must be something else I'm missing. I've been putting the signal through a black lion pre as well which I also have to crank.

Back