can word clock replace midi

dirtydoo

i just got this m audio 1814 for a soud card for my laptop. i was looking at it and i notice it had word clock on it, i dont know a hole lot about word clock but i remember over hearing some people talk about it an d they said it could replace midi for syncing and it was wa better than midi. is this ture :confused:

no way.
MIDI and Word Clock are two different things. First of all MIDI has been around since the 80's and I don't see it going anywhere anytime soon.

secondly, word clock is a way of keeping a constant bit rate signal in your digital gear to help avoid errors in the data stream. This has nothing to do with MIDI which is a form of a digital language.
Word clock doesn't have anything to do with syncing in relation to time code either.

To use the word clock in your device, you'd need something that generates word clock. Which you don't need unless you're running multiple pieces of digital gear. An example of a word clock you could purchase is this.

Last edited:
bennychico11 said:
no way.
MIDI and Word Clock are two different things. First of all MIDI has been around since the 80's and I don't see it going anywhere anytime soon.

secondly, word clock is a way of keeping a constant bit rate signal in your digital gear to help avoid errors in the data stream. This has nothing to do with MIDI which is a form of a digital language.
Word clock doesn't have anything to do with syncing in relation to time code either.

To use the word clock in your device, you'd need something that generates word clock. Which you don't need unless you're running multiple pieces of digital gear. An example of a word clock you could purchase is this.

thanks for clearing that up for me

Just to elaborate on Benny's point:
word clock is for syncing up all the digital clocks in a system so that they are all cycling at the same time. There is no timecode information in wordclock.

Midi sync is timecode.

is word clock syncing necessary? i have a digi 002 and a behringer ada8000, should connect their wordclocks? im using the ADAT from them, so is that the same?

When you are just syncing two units together, you can just slave the one off the other through spdif, ADAT, AES/EBU, etc...

When you have an entire room full of stuff that all needs to be in sync, wordclock.

If you don't set one to be the master and the other the slave you will hear random clicks. You'll see them on the meters too.

yep ive experienced the clicking from hell. so the adat syncs the two units, because thats all i have?

Back