Brand new, want to start recording death metal vocals.

iosappsrock

Title basically sums it up. I'm brand new to audio and I'd like to begin recording death metal vocals. I prefer to learn as I go, so I'm looking for some help on what equipment to get.

What is cheap, and easy to use? I'd like to spend under $300.00 for the whole setup. I'm not looking for amazing quality right now. Just somehing to get me started doing vocal covers for practice, and to learn/get a grasp on how recording vocals works.

Suggestions? What equipment do I need? I'm very technically minded, so I'm hoping I can figure things out as I go. If that sounds impossible to you, then please recommend where I can learn the basics.

Thanks!

Title basically sums it up. I'm brand new to audio and I'd like to begin recording death metal vocals. I prefer to learn as I go, so I'm looking for some help on what equipment to get.
It's not the best way to learn considering the following, but there you have it.
What is cheap, and easy to use? I'd like to spend under $300.00 for the whole setup. I'm not looking for amazing quality right now.
That's good (that you're not looking for amazing quality) - Because $300 isn't going to get you much. If you put $300 into a mic, $300 into an interface with decent preamps, $300 into speakers and $300 into room treatments you'd be on the "extremely budget friendly" side. $300 for everything is going to be EXTREMELY basic. That said - A Shure SM58, Focusrite 2i2 and -- well, if there's a $50 set of speakers out there and some cabling... You've already exceeded your budget, but you can record sound.

It's not the best way to learn considering the following, but there you have it.

That's good (that you're not looking for amazing quality) - Because $300 isn't going to get you much. If you put $300 into a mic, $300 into an interface with decent preamps, $300 into speakers and $300 into room treatments you'd be on the "extremely budget friendly" side. $300 for everything is going to be EXTREMELY basic. That said - A Shure SM58, Focusrite 2i2 and -- well, if there's a $50 set of speakers out there and some cabling... You've already exceeded your budget, but you can record sound.

I appreciate the reply man. Definitely looking for extremely basic. I'm not a professional, in fact I can't even call myself a hobbyist at this point. I'm basically just looking for something better than recording with my phone lol! But even a cheap setup with the "proper parts" if you will, will at least teach me how it's all put together and works. I'll check out the gear you listed and see if used ones go for cheap on eBay and stuff.

Thank you!

As the professor of my Intro to Music Production class said: Don't wait to record if you don't have fancy equipment. Use what you've got in front of you, even if it's only an inexpensive dynamic mic and Audacity.

Bare bones recording:

Mic (sometimes you can find a Digital Reference dynamic mic (SM-58 clone) at GC for 9.99)
Mic stand
Headphones
Focusrite or Presonus interface 80$
Room Treatment: park yourself in front of an open closet full of clothes.
Garageband (free, if you have a mac)
REAPER | Purchase Reaper 60$ if you don't have a mac

Many thanks for this man! That's exactly what I was looking for. Just something to get some sound recorded. It'll probably sound shit lol, but practice will be practice and that's what I need.

You will be fine to start with a sm58 and a cheap interface like Massive suggested.

Not sure if I would bother trying to get monitors on that budget. Just some cheap headphones.

That's not ideal but it will get you started.

Back