Bit of advice on update of equipment

Pooly89

Hi Guys,

So basically the kit we are using is

AKG perception 820 tube mic
Old Boss Br-600

to record vocals, basically I was wondering if we have a new recording tool(tascam dr-008ex) with phantom power is this going to improve the quality of our vocal recording as it feels at the moment that the recording equipment we have isn't putting across the full capability of the mic. Obviously we can't afford £,£££'s but if anyone has better suggestions on what can be done on a mid to low range budget that would be great.

Cheers

Pooly

I really doubt the tascam is going to sound significantly better than the boss.

I've mixed projects done on the boss units and they were fine. They shouldn't be holding you back as far as capturing decent sound goes.

I think you would have to commit a significant amount of money to get a noticeable step up in sound quality. The only possible thing you might try would be to get a decent solid state mic preamp.

That AKG comes with its own power supply, so phantom power from the Tascam wouldn't make any difference. Like Jay suggests, a decent mic preamp would do you better. Unless there's some reason you need the portability, time to think about a good audio interface and recording to a computer DAW.

Perhaps not the recording equipment, but rather the room the vocals are being recorded in or to some extent mic technique. Is the room treated?

"The only possible thing you might try would be to get a decent solid state mic preamp."
If you do consider a "decent preamp", don't cheap out with the likes of something such as a Behringer or similar, which could actually degrade your sound. "Decent" will cost a few £££'s. Ask here for suggestions and state what your budget might be. Good preamp can be used with an interface also.

Back