big vocal sound

lopie

im recording with condenser mike (little reverb) and sonar which is ok for most of my stuff but i need a really big sound like sting of phill collens etc. (kind of clean but heavy) help ????

I have a few different suggestions:

First... Record your vocal tracks as dry as possible. This will allow you to do much more.

Doubling the vocal track and offsetting the copied vocal track. This technique can add depth and will make the vocals sound pretty big.

You can also play around with a little delay. NOT alot but a little!

Also, you might want to try actually recording a few different vocal tracks and mixing them together to create one BIG vocal sound. You could also offset one of these vocal tracks as well.

I am going on memory now. (too lazy to put in my Phil Collins Cds) But I am pretty sure he records multiple vocal tracks and mixes them all together. I think he even sings one of the vocal tracks an octave higher. So, if you have the range, Go for it!

After you get the desired sound you are looking for, play around with some different verbs if you feel it needs it. It may not need very much.

Hope this helps.

Steven

The key to fat vocals is a decent preamp and some compression or limiting. For a truly pro sound you need pro gear like an 1176, LA2A or a Distressor. With plugins or an RNC you can come close.

A lot of people mention the doubling or offset technique. Whenever I've tried, the result has always been phasing problems when listening back in mono. Is there a a magic number of milleseconds that will not result in phasing problems?

Terry Kingen

try 2-5 miliseconds to add that extra back ground main vocal... .25 to 1.5 miliseconds for something more realistic but still noticably enhanced I usually just double up the vocal track and only add reverb or delay on one track...also try panning one about 10-20% to the left or right and maybe the same to the other vocal track..it fills in more space like that so everything isnt packed in the center...doing that also eliminates alot of trials and tribulations when it comes to making it sound in stereo

It's already been said, but learn to work the compressor. It makes a huge difference. I sometimes make multiple passes of light compression (3:1 ratio)

When I offset a track I start with the slightest offset and then go from there.

As far as panning goes. I keep my main vocals Dead center. Maybe I might pan a backing vocal part or if I am singing an octave higher to thickin up the regular track I might pan that as well. But for the most part I like the main vocals to be dead center. Probably because I have my guitars panned left and right My vocals sits real nice in the middle.

I agree with keeping the original track dry as possible and adding the FX to the offset track.

Steven

I'm not a huge fan of offsets. If you double track your vocal, pan one slightly left, 4 or 5%, pan the other the same amount to the right, you'll notice an immediate fattening effect. Then experiment with a little delay, compression & limiting

Don't copy the track and slide it around, DOUBLE it. Record it twice onto 2 separate tracks. The subtle difference between performances will make it more huge than copying the same track and hacking it up - you won't have phasing problems and you'll be much happier with the result IMHO.

I like to leave one in the center, fairly dry. Pan the second slightly off center and add some reverb, a hair of delay, and roll off any lows. Keep the volume down on the second track - it shouldn't stand out, just enhance the first.

Don't copy the track and slide it around, DOUBLE it. Record it twice onto 2 separate tracks. The subtle difference between performances will make it more huge than copying the same track and hacking it up - you won't have phasing problems and you'll be much happier with the result IMHO.

I like to leave one in the center, fairly dry. Pan the second slightly off center and add some reverb, a hair of delay, and roll off any lows. Keep the volume down on the second track - it shouldn't stand out, just enhance the first.

Back