Better preamps? Alesis Multimix 16 Firewire vs. Phonic Helix 18 Firewire

SMX_Dizzy

Howdy. Well, I'm buying my mixer pretty soon even though I haven't started treating my studio room yet. I'm going to start recording in the room I have my drums in first, just to be able to start recording. So, here's the deal. Up between the Alesis and the Phonic, which has the better preamps? That's the one I'd ideally go with. I know that the Phonic has the same Firewire chip as the Mackie Onyx series, but is the Alesis' still good? I also know that Phonic's drivers are more compliant, but if I set up Alesis' drivers right I doubt there'd be any problems.

I'd like to get this question answered in 3 days b/c there's an open-box Multimix for $490 that ends in 3 days. That's only $30 over the Phonic, so should I just get it anyway? I have actually heard more positive things about the Phonic, but I'd like to hear from you guys which you'd choose.

Thanks. Make haste on your replies!

Why Don't you go with a pre amp interface with better sounding pres then a firewire board. Something like a Mackie Onyx 400F, Presonus Firepod, RME Fireface 800 or a Mackie Onyx 1200F. Considerably more expensive but you will more then likely be much more happy with your quality. I've made the mistake of buying cheap gear with the intention of upgrading later. Its not worth it every time I've felt an urge to shoot myself in my foot.

I like doing hands-on mixing myself, I like adjusting levels, etc on the board rather than in the software. I also like how that the Alesis/Phonic will let me use all the XLR ins and still have 1/4" ins that are still usable, without buying extra equipment and/or daisy chaining. I also like how I could potentially use the Alesis/Phonic as a live mixer too, which I'd probably use too.

If these are bad reasons to get the Alesis/Phonic over the Firepod, then tell me. I'd appreciate any and all input/advice on this. Thanks.

SMX_Dizzy said:
I like doing hands-on mixing myself, I like adjusting levels, etc on the board rather than in the software. I also like how that the Alesis/Phonic will let me use all the XLR ins and still have 1/4" ins that are still usable, without buying extra equipment and/or daisy chaining. I also like how I could potentially use the Alesis/Phonic as a live mixer too, which I'd probably use too.

If these are bad reasons to get the Alesis/Phonic over the Firepod, then tell me. I'd appreciate any and all input/advice on this. Thanks.

Others may know better then me but by the looks of things the Alesis and Phonic would still require you to mix ITB. If you really want to mix on a analoug board you would need a considerably more pricey set up.

Depending on the channel count you want you would have to buy a board with direct outs of each channel. Then you would need some sort of AD converter to get the tracks into the computer. Then you would need a DA converter to send the tracks back out to the board. But to do that without an in-line console(which adds quite a bit of money) would require you to un-patch the XLR inputs and repatch in the Send/return inputs. The least expensive way of doing this is through an M-Audio Delta 1010 which has 8 channels of TRS I/O and 2 channels of s/pdif I/O per unit. You can run up to four of these, I haven't tested this but I'm currently running three of them into a 32 channel Soundtracs board and it works fine.

A cheaper more cost effective way would be to buy a nice pre amp interface that gives you the track count you wanted and then mix them down using an external digital interface. Something such as the Macie MCU would do the trick since it gives you transport control, 9 motorized faders with a bank control and a handful of other options. You could go for something even cheaper then that which would do the trick. What I was looking at before I decided to go analoug was the Tascam US-2400, you get 24 motorized faders with pan control, transport control and a surround panner.

By going with a rack mount pre amp you'll be much happier with the sound of your mics becuase unless your spending an ungodly amount of money on a board the pres are more then likely going to be of low build quality. But it all really depends on your monetary situation.

If you would like any clarification let me know,
Kyle

incidentally, if this matters, i think the multimix only goes to 48khz, whereas the phonic does up to 96khz. alesis has a couple of firewire mixers in their io series that do up to 96khz, but w/o integrated effects.

I would highly reocmend against integrated effects. They usually sond very thin and weak as well as have a high noise ratio.

my thoughts;

i have never used any other unit except my Digi002 (for recording anyway) so i have nothing to truly compare it to.

at $1200, the pre's (4) are awesome. they are transparent, clean and crisp.

i've used the same mics in live situations and had them sound differently through different mixers.

so basically, its gonna be hit or miss for ya. if you've never used the alesis or the phonic, you really dont know. what you have heard about them really doesnt mean squat.

second, you like hands on mixing? just get a controller. i have the behringer bcf and its fine, does the job well. i wouldnt stress out about have an all in one unit with a control surface. that can be added later. basically, im saying if you get a racked unit, you can still have your hands on approach with a controller, so dont rule them out.

also, look for i/o. not just onboard pre's, but digital i/o. the Digi002 only has 4 pre's, but it has adat, spdif, and 4 line input. with a ADAT mic pre interface, you can add 8 pre's later on.

integrated effects? well, OK for live usage, if you are going to be using it live, but i would rather use a plugin for recording so you can always change/remove it later.

kamikaze, you find them thin and weak? what unit are you talking about? thats too vague of a statement to make, it doesnt apply to everything.

You've got to make a decision between quality and feel. I'd personally get a unit with higher quality pres and adapt to mixing on the computer.

TragikRemix said:
kamikaze, you find them thin and weak? what unit are you talking about? thats too vague of a statement to make, it doesnt apply to everything.

I'm talking mainly about the handful of behringer boards I've used and the guitar amps sub $700. Although I tend to be very picky about what I'm hearing from every effect, it took me a little over a year to find a reverb I can live with.

I think what I'm going to try is to get the Phonic and see if I like it. If it's not that great, or I just don't like it, my friend said that he'd buy it from me b/c he's getting a laptop and is going to want something like it to record. If I do sell it (assuming I don't like it or it sucks) then I'll definitely get a Firepod or two.

KamikazeKyle said:
I'm talking mainly about the handful of behringer boards I've used and the guitar amps sub $700. Although I tend to be very picky about what I'm hearing from every effect, it took me a little over a year to find a reverb I can live with.

well, behringer is another story..

and any guitar amp with built in effects isn't going to be all that great, solid state can only sound so good..

ever use an O1V? thats a killer reverb..

Since you narrowed it down to the two I'd go with the Alesis. The pre's have always sounded good in live settings. IMHO

TragikRemix said:
well, behringer is another story..

and any guitar amp with built in effects isn't going to be all that great, solid state can only sound so good..

ever use an O1V? thats a killer reverb..

Well judging by behringer is rather biased and I've only used the 01v96 once when filling in for a friend at a local theater for a night. It was a pretty sweet board but thats quite a difference in price. I guess I was wrong in being so generic.

Last edited:
Back