Which is the better audio interface?

The mic pre in the focusrite probably have a slight advantage over the M-Audio. The 2i2 would be my first choice, too. In fact, I have a 2i2.... don't use it much, but I have one.

Between those two the Focusrite will be the more reliable interface, but the Roland Duo Capture EX or the Steinberg UR22 offer more features and better ASIO performance (if you are on Windows) in the same price range.

Between those two the Focusrite will be the more reliable interface, but the Roland Duo Capture EX or the Steinberg UR22 offer more features and better ASIO performance (if you are on Windows) in the same price range.
I will be only recording acoustic guitar and vocals for my EP. So, I'm assuming that I need a clean and good preamp. Will the Focusrite get the job done and be sufficient enough for my needs?

What do you mean by ASIO performance? I'm curious 'cause I'm using Windows.

Driver writing really - some devices just seem to be hindered by the interfacing - and often a new driver reduces latency or perhaps adds things that might have a slight time penalty. All the popular units have pretty decent latency figures now. You often see people using ASIO4all drivers in an attempt to sort out driver issues, and often this works, but there's normally a big increase in latency because the drivers throttle the data throughput, but of course, do make the things work. I tend to see around 9ms or so, but using ASIO4all to make once awkward device function increases it to 25ms - which is very noticeable.

I'm not sure what the comment means when it says Focusrite will be the more reliable? Although I don't use it any more - my old M-Audio was just as reliable as the others. The only really dodgy device I use from time to time is an HHB MD unit - which ASIO4all at least makes connect!

ASIO is more than just a driver for an audio interface. It has the capability for setting data buffers and to report latency. The ASIO driver sends this data to the DAW software so it can compensate for any time lag between playback audio and recorded audio. In others words, your tracks will line up properly.

not a lot of difference between ANY of them at this price point.

field opens up a bit once you hit about $600 and up

The Focusrite supports higher bit rates up to 96kHz, while the Duo Capture only supports 44.1 and 48 kHz. Not that you need it!

I'm leaning towards the Scarlett 2i2 right now

but...

Someone offered me his Native Instruments Audio Kontrol 1 for a good price.. Is this better than the Scarlett 2i2 or the Scarlett is better?

Like Gonzo said, in that price range, they're all going to be about the same. Look at the features and if it does what you want, go for it.

The focusrite unit has received some praise for the mic pre's, but maybe not enough of a difference if you have a good deal on something else.

Like Gonzo said, in that price range, they're all going to be about the same. Look at the features and if it does what you want, go for it.

The focusrite unit has received some praise for the mic pre's, but maybe not enough of a difference if you have a good deal on something else.
Recently, I sold my behringer xenyx mixer q802usb because I thought that replacing it with a scarlett is an 'upgrade'.

Will the scarlett sound just like the xenyx?

Might sound a little clearer/nicer, the Scarlett pre's are actually quite nice for an interface in that range, if you've got a decent monitoring environment and good ears you probably notice some difference.

The mixer software for the Scarlett interfaces is reliable and well though out (actually, it's excellent) - makes setting up a monitor mix without messing with your project file nice and easy and is generally really flexible. That's probably going to be the biggest change.

I've heard the Scarlett is good for that price. Also in that range (and i record on this) is the AudioBox USB. It comes bundled with a very good DAW, Studio One.

I have a personus audio box. I love it. there are never any glitches with it. Never have to reload drivers. The sounds that go into it are what you hear on the playback.
Not the case with other interfaces I've used.

I've got the 2i2... No real problems as such but it does leave little room to expand...
I'm still saving for the Steiny UR44 - more ins, more outs and DSP which can be routed to headphone mix (whilst still recording a dry signal)

2in/2out has me constantly plugging and unplugging and replugging my gear... I need my turntable, synth(s) and bass guitar ready to go at a seconds notice...

if you gonna record acoustic guitar you need the best preamps
so between those two i would choose the scarlet , i
have owned both m-audio and Focusrite in the past,
if your wallet allows it i would actually stepped up a little in price to get a better card with better preamps
my current interface is Rme fireface 400

I will be buying my audio interface in a few weeks and I'm looking at these two options:

-Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 (My first option)
-M Audio M - Track

thanks

heres a good bit of info on the scarletts.

https://mikeriversaudio.files.wordp...rite-scarlett-8i6-and-18i6-review_revised.pdf

the software pack comes with the units sometimes, it sounds ok from a video I saw reviewing this unit.
basically the 2i2 has the same guts as the bigger input scarletts...minus the software mixer.

theres an abundance of these used at GC and on Craigslist, not sure why?

Back