Best way to record Yamaha Keyboard

tom291

Hello there, I just joined the forum and got a question.
I've got a Yamaha DGX-650 which has a 6.3 jack and a "USB to Host" output. I want to record the keyboard (I would like to use Audacity but I'm open for everything) with a simple clear sound. Which is the best way to archieve that? I already tried it using the 6.3 jack. I connected it via chinch to my computer but I always had some noises in the background. Thank you in advance!

Ok Tom, had a gander at the manual and I am once again surprised and disgusted that a kbd mnfctr has once again failed to provide proper L&R fixed level line outputs on what is a fairly expensive bit of kit! I mean, Jeez! How much does an SMT op amp and couple of jacks cost? RCAs if they are really mean.

Right, rant over. You could use a TRS (stereo) 1/4" jack plug to 3.5mm stereo plug to the laptop but there could be various problems and not all computer jacks are suitable. (Normally plugging into a headphone output will kill the speakers but p55 of the manual tells you how to avoid this.)

The VERY best way is to split the H/P output into two 1/4" TS plugs and feed those to an Audio Interface* . This connects via USB and will smooth the whole recording and track building process no end. The snag of course is the cost, you will not get anything 1/2 way decent under around £100 new.
You might be told (not likely here!) to get a USB mixer. Can be a solution but an AI is almost always better but IF you go for a mixer look at the latest units from such as Allen & Heath, they are 24bit devices, avoid the older 16bit boxes like the plague.

Audacity? A fine audio editor and can be used to record audio very well but, it is not really suited to general music making 'studio' use and if you go for an AI it will come with some much more suitable software. Many AIs pack Cubase AI and since that kdb can feed MIDI via USB there is no better software, many argue, for MIDI work.

*My top reccy is the Steinberg UR22 (Cubase), the Presonus AudioBox (Studio One) and lastly Focusrite 2i4 (can't recall the bundled software but Cubase it ain't)

Dave.

It looks like the fone out is the only option. On the computer sound card, you should only have to insure that all the OS manipulation of signal is switched off

Have you tried recording to a USB stick? It records as a pristine, no loss wav file that can be easily transferred/imported to Audacity or other DAW. This works well on a Yamaha keyboard I have.

Attachments

• dgx.jpg
    dgx.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 31
yep record audio to USB stick is the ticket...for that unit

From the Yamaha site...

DGX650 :USB Audio Recording

1) Connect the USB flash memory to the “USB TO DEVICE” terminal.
2) Press the [SONG/AUDIO] button once or twice to call up the AUDIO SELECT display for Audio recording.
3) To record a new Audio file select “000 New Audio.”
Note: if you select a file that contains previously recorded data the previous data will be overwritten and lost.
4) Press the [REC] button to be ready for recording.
5) Press the [EXECUTE] button to start recording, then play the keyboard.
6) After you finish the performance, press the [EXECUTE] button or [REC] button to stop recording.
Note : the audio file will automatically be saved as “UserAudioxxx” in a folder labeled “USER FILES” which will be created on the USB flash device.
7) To hear the recorded performance pres the [START/STOP] button.

Last edited:
The stick/drive is another step, but it could suit the poster well enough. I would record to the stick just to avoid the computer : ) As it is, I have to turn on the computer just to USB power some things. ahah

Back