Best way to record electric guitar to computer

Ricklh

First of all, I'm not into micing an electric guitar - I prefer connecting direct. So far, I've ran my guitar into my Digitech box, and from there into my sound card. Sounds pretty good, pretty much like it was coming from an amp. And then, I have ran from the line out jacks from the back of my Behringer bass amp to the computer and that sounds good too, although maybe a little noisier. I also could record from my mixer to the computer, although haven't tried it yet. Which method(s) work best for you for getting a good-sounding electric guitar track?

First of all, I'm not into micing an electric guitar - I prefer connecting direct. So far, I've ran my guitar into my Digitech box, and from there into my sound card. Sounds pretty good, pretty much like it was coming from an amp. And then, I have ran from the line out jacks from the back of my Behringer bass amp to the computer and that sounds good too, although maybe a little noisier. I also could record from my mixer to the computer, although haven't tried it yet. Which method(s) work best for you for getting a good-sounding electric guitar track?
i use my little fender practice amp which has a heaqdphone jack. I go from there in to a mixer channel direct. The amp phone jack gives me the bass, treble,middle & prescence that I prefer so i do less eqing when ready to mix. I also have the option to go in to the line in jack of my dbx 3700 channel strip. either way it gets me the guitar sound I like.

Hi.

I'm not very experienced yet but I recently posted a related thread. I also do the direct recording method.

My style is doom metal, I'm always searching for a thick and crunchy sound with the minimal high-end frequencies necessary.

My fisrt recordings weren't bad, in fact they surpassed my expectations. I started by using a Metal Muff Pocket with a Vox AC30 Amplug, directly into my pc soundcard. The sound was fat (Vox Amplug), and Crunchy (Metal Muff), but some of the sound had this background ''fffffffffffffff'' like a tape, which didn't stop even when playing, and I couldn't get the desired volume without clipping. Then I bought a Damage Control Demonizer pedal, which is a tube distortion pedal made specifically to direct recording, and I also bought a Presonus Firebox interface.

The sound became more ''opened'', less muddy on the low-ends, but it had much more undesired high-ends, and it sounded thin.

With a lot of patience, I worked a lot more on the EQ and, by advice of users from this forum, I doubled my guitars, and so I got a lot closer to my objective.

Even with a tube pedal, good working cables, a good bridge pick up and a good interface, the guitars still sound a bit sinthetic, a bit processed, but that isn't really a problem for my music style.

Raw samples (only guitars and drums)
http://soundcloud.com/descalabro/tracks

Also, many people are choosing to record clean signal and then use softwares like Amplitube to add the desired effect. People are very impressed with it, but I didn't use it yet.

Back