best way to record electric bass?

gk-one

just looking for some opinions as to what the pro method and/or your prefered method for recording electric bass tracks. i usually run my ibanez roadbass707 through my compressor unit and then directly into my Roland vs840ex digital recorder, also using a factory preset bass effect from the 840. i am happy with the tone but it just doesnt have that full bottom end yet glossy treble that the pros get. i know thats what makes them pros but it sounds like yuo all know what your talking about so any advice would be appreciated.
thanx
garrett

Hey Garrett:

Here is a suggestion; [I don't have the same rig you do; I use an MD-8]

But, when I add a bass line to a cut, I use my synthesizer which has a gaggle of bass patches and, of course, they all can be edited. [I'm a keyboard person]

Record your bass line without using ANY EFFECTS. Just run the sound from the preamp on your recorder. When you get ready to mix, try tweaking your bass line with EQ; maybe make it a little darker (add a bit a low) or just twiddle with the eq until you get that PRO sound you are looking for. This, of course, includes FX. A bass line doesn't need much FX on my rig because of its punch; but, experiment. I think messing with the EQ will get you there.

Cheers,
Green Hornet

[This message has been edited by The Green Hornet (edited 02-01-2000).]

I've tried it a lot of different ways, but have recently had luck micing the cabinet with an sm-57 and simultaneously running through the "tweed" channel of my Tech 21 tri-od. I'm mostly a guitar player, so I have a bunch of stereo pedals laying around that I can use to split the signal.

I'm not too familiar with the bass you've got, but I play a passive Fender Jazz through and old 100watt Peavy head. the cab is a Hartke 1X15 transporter.

I use a VS880 to record it all, so we're dealing with similar technology there. I find the best sound comes from leaving the two recorded tracks separate and panned hard left and right.

Works for me anyway. Good luck, and remember to dial in a little more mid if you're getting lost in the mix...

thanx for your thoughts. i will experiment with both suggestions. i did tweek my eq a bit and that definately helped. thanx again.
garrett

First boil your strings in hot water.
If you can use a active DI -that will give you low end punch with high clear treble.

It seems that Eq is what you need
For more upper clarity ( and string noise ) boost 2kHz -3kHz.

For low good foundation try boosting from 80-150Hz
I roll off at 40Hz - not needed
I also like to cut at250-500Hz to get rid of mud

Good luck

A note on EQing bass with a Roland: I have a Roland also, and one of the few drawbacks is that the preamps suck. If possible, try using a separate preamp or mixer to add some EQ.

thanks again for all of your suggestions. i do agree that the preamps on the roland suck. i have one more question though.
What is a DI box and what is its benefit as opposed to running directly to the input on the recorder?

nevermind. i just read an earlier post that explains fully what a DI box is and what it does. sounds like a worthwhile investment.
garrett

A good cheap bass DI is a "sansamp bass driver di", or you can just run a jack from your bass, into a compressor then into your console.

With regards to the message that Shailat posted, boiling your strings before recording is not necessarily the best thing. Boiling your strings makes your strings sound like you've just pulled them out of the packet, brand spankin' new. They will have plenty of sparkle, and it's great if you're playing slap style. However, I tend to find boiled strings when played with fingers or pick tend to have a very transperant "scooped" sound, lacking in low-midrange presence which makes the bass hard to hear in the mix. If you want your bass to just sit under everything else in the mix then this is a good way to go.
I find that not boiling your strings and leaving them sounding old gives a much warmer and more focused note that will stand out in the mix. Of course this is all subjective and dependent on the sound that you're chasing.
Also, if you can get your hands on a bass amp/preamp with a balanced xlr out on the back, then try using that instead of a d.i. box, as it will probably give you some tone control at the recording stage. I use an inexpensive ampeg valve preamp that does wonders for the sound, even when the tone controls are left flat. A little compression helps too if you have one.

After I boil them, should I saute them in wine for a while, or just go ahead and add the sauce?

Look, Shailat's advice was simple - boil 'em in hot water. Just don't try boiling 'em in cold water, that's all.

The Sonusman described in detail one way to record and mix bass in the MP3 forum, plus you get to hear the mix and some very tasty bass playing. The topic's called Juicy or Juicy/Full or something.

Back