Best techniques for mic'ing violins, cellos, etc.

Johnny Don't!

Hello to all my uber-helpful & knowledgeable forum friends!

I have a project coming up in roughly two weeks which will involve tracking a violinist and a cellist. I realized after I accepted the job as producer that I've never recorded any orchestral string instruments before, so I need some insight on how best to capture them. Mic selection & mic placement are my main concerns, but any info regarding the process is welcome, stuff like where in the live room is the best spot to situate the performer; what pre-amps or EQs (both in terms of model & settings) are best for these instruments, etc. And anything else I might be omitting.

Thanks in advance!

Ethan plays cello, he has a real cool video on youtube to check out. He comes on here on an irregular bases, but if you're a little patient, I am sure he can assist. Just might take a few days before he shows up, or you could PM him if you're in a hurry.

Thanks for the suggestion; did you intend to provide a link or something so I could contact this mysterious Ethan character? Did I miss something in your reply?

Of course, context matters. Is the recording purely orchestral or will the bowed instruments be mixed in with other instrumentation?

Generally for violin (and I say GENERALLY) you want to suspend a mic anywhere from one to three feet above the violin firing down towards the body/F-holes. DPA mics are great for this or, if you want to tame the often strident nature of a violin, you can use a ribbon mic like a Coles 4038 or even a cheaper ribbons like an Apex or an sE VR1 or X1R. You want to pull the warmth of the body out of the violin and balance it with the top end of the strings by placing your mic carefully.

I have had good results on cello with a tube LDC on a floor stand (like a kick drum stand), aimed between the F-holes and the strings about a third of the way up the body. A cheaper mic that works for this is a Rode NTK.

Be aware that a small room with resonances and dips in the low end will greatly affect the tonal consistency of particularly the cello so pick a spot in the room where this effect is minimal. That can often be the greatest challenge.

Hope that helps.

Cheers :)

Back