Best Recording Software?

starblossom24

Hi Everyone,

I'm very new to recording/composing software, and I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice of the best programs for me. Here's a little info about myself if that would help. I started piano lessons at thirteen and continued with private and ensemble lessons for six years. I wasn't able to keep up with lessons once I entered college, but I still play and I bought my own upright Everett (1953) piano my sophomore year. I progressed very quickly with my lessons, but I still have trouble reading music. I'm not terrible at it, but I have issues playing more complicated time signatures, and really got by playing by ear. During my junior year of high school my instructor encouraged me to pursue composition, and I really took off. But because of my limited knowledge of reading music, I simply played by ear and recorded my songs with a cheap recorder.

I'd classify my songs as somewhat new age, with strong impressionistic tendencies/chords, with a little bit of early 20th century modernist piano (think Satie). I write poems that I'd like to set to music. I'm interested in software that allows me to record my piano songs with the ability to add strings, drums, and possibly acoustic guitar. I'd like to use something that allows me to explore both techno and acoustic instruments. At some point, I'd also like to do some overdubbed vocals. It seems like I might be best served by a sampler or synthesizer, something that I could simply with a keyboard and add instrumentation later that doesn't rely on strict notation.

As far as budget goes, I'm a poor college student, but I can wait a few years until I can afford something better. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Hi Everyone,

I'm very new to recording/composing software, and I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice of the best programs for me. Here's a little info about myself if that would help. I started piano lessons at thirteen and continued with private and ensemble lessons for six years. I wasn't able to keep up with lessons once I entered college, but I still play and I bought my own upright Everett (1953) piano my sophomore year. I progressed very quickly with my lessons, but I still have trouble reading music. I'm not terrible at it, but I have issues playing more complicated time signatures, and really got by playing by ear. During my junior year of high school my instructor encouraged me to pursue composition, and I really took off. But because of my limited knowledge of reading music, I simply played by ear and recorded my songs with a cheap recorder.

I'd classify my songs as somewhat new age, with strong impressionistic tendencies/chords, with a little bit of early 20th century modernist piano (think Satie). I write poems that I'd like to set to music. I'm interested in software that allows me to record my piano songs with the ability to add strings, drums, and possibly acoustic guitar. I'd like to use something that allows me to explore both techno and acoustic instruments. At some point, I'd also like to do some overdubbed vocals. It seems like I might be best served by a sampler or synthesizer, something that I could simply with a keyboard and add instrumentation later that doesn't rely on strict notation.

As far as budget goes, I'm a poor college student, but I can wait a few years until I can afford something better. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

I would go to Guitar Center or Sam Ash, or whatever music store you have in your town and get the cheapest 2 channel interface you can get and download the free version of Reaper and watch a bunch of youtube videos on how to properly set levels, how eq, compression, and insert effects work. Learn as much as you can while using the free software and cheap hardware. and when you're ready to move up into the bigger league watch videos and possibly find someone in your town that might not have a problem letting you watch and learn for free on more expensive software. You may like the workflow of Reaper or you may wanna get into something a little more professional looking. The key to all and any software you use is what converters you're using and your technique of getting clean and clear true signal into your computer.

Back