Which is best for Recording: Mic'ing an Acoustic OR Direct Acoustic-Electric

dreamache

I'd be recording Directly through a Line6 TonePort UX2 if I went the Acoustic-Electric route...

But someone mentioned it sounds 20x better if you buy a good mic instead and record that way.

If mic'ing is the better route, can anyone recommend a good mic for around $250 - $300 for acoustic mic'ing?

Thanks!

Micing will sound better UNLESS your acoustic electric is heavy on the electric side and light on the acoustic side. I was playing an ovation the other night that had hardly any acoustic qualities to it. It definetly would not sound good miced. So only go this route if the guitar sounds good to your ear. A mic can't make sound that isn't there.

Cheers,
RD

I've heard decent stuff from a Oktava MK 012. Maybe an AT4040.

I had good results with a MK012 and recording from the pickups then blending both. The mic really filled the bottom while the direct helped the high end. This was with a mcpherson guitar so I don't know how your pickups will sound. Pre's and diffrent DI's will change the sound too.

It really depends on the room also.... Make sure you don't have a bunch of echos going on.

i love my toneport. I produce hip-hop but i decided to branch off and try recording country with some people i work with and the sound that came from the electric acoustic guitar through the toneport was great.

i really think the toneport is great

Hey, I would recomend 2 channels. 1 line in, and microphone, sometimes you can get a good mix by mixing a little of the line in with the microphone track.

Heres somethign I did with a Studio Projects B1 (one take got guitar and vocals in one mic), they are relativly cheap.

-josh

Slowjett said:
Hey, I would recomend 2 channels. 1 line in, and microphone, sometimes you can get a good mix by mixing a little of the line in with the microphone track.

Heres somethign I did with a Studio Projects B1 (one take got guitar and vocals in one mic), they are relativly cheap.

-josh

Hi,
I also have had nice results with blending a direct track with a mic'd track. And, I also like the sp b1 for mic'ng acoustic guitar, and the adk hamburg works well on acoustic micn'g too.

evt

Back