Best online training videos/resource for Sound Forge Pro 11 for total VO newbie...

Bob H.

Hello,

A couple of people in our organization have been tapped to do some corporate voice-over work and will be using Sound Forge 11. These folks have zero recording knowledge or experience but have some potential and are eager, so we're wondering if anyone might have suggestions for well-regarded online training videos for this product.

These people will be in a remote area for the next few months and thus unable to visit studios or meet with coaches so the online option is a necessity for now; they'd like to get as good an instructional head-start as they can.

Thanks!

The online training options (Lynda.com, youtube, etc.) are of course there for the coarse learning. Having recently done a bit of VO work, I would suggest the volunteers practice, practice and practice. The controls for cutting audio are simple and Sound Forge isn't super complicated. The following items aren't easy; Learning to listen to your voice, mic placement, gain settings, cadence (or speed of vocalist delivery). Other things like workflow enhancements (instead of recutting clips in total, stop and restart, then trim audio out for screw-ups and false starts) are experience acquired and mostly common sense.

Good luck to them; I've recorded my voice for decades and still struggle to accept what it is I hear (compared to listening to another's voice). My final offering is perfection is the enemy of the good. All these tools have noise reduction and other tools but your audience (corporate residents) won't have quality in mind listening; they're on the dime for the content... Avoid the urge to recut clips until there is a -70db floor or total silence between clips; too much processing is more distracting than a good, natural delivery with breathing and other artifacts as part of the clip.

The scripts for the voice-over work are probably harder to accomplish.

Back