Best microphone to use for recording pipe organ? (from a list)

stoda

Hey all!

I'm looking to record some pipe organ music in a large hall with 4-5 second reverb. I need a mic capable of recording a large room, with sounds ranging from very loud to very quiet.

My school has the following microphones available to sign out, so I would love some suggestions on which of these would be best (if any):

Unfortunately I am not allowed to post links on the forum yet, so could not officially link.. but are all easily findable on Google search.

#1:

Apogee MiC

#2:

Rode NT1-A

#3:

Samson C01U

#4:

Shure BETA 58A

#5:

Shure MX393

Thanks - I appreciate any help you can give!

NT1a probably. Gonna want to get as much room sound as possible, and to capture all those sexy overtones and frequencies.

None of those microphones are suitable.

You really need a pure pressure omni microphone or you lose all the bottom end of the pipe organ.

A pipe organ's lowest note is about 16Hz.

A directional mic. rolls off around 50Hz, normally - an omni will go down to 20Hz and some as low as 5Hz.

A pair of SDC omni mics would be ideal.

If the school require you to record a pipe organ and they don't have suitable microphones, then they should buy them, as you cannot do the recording without suitable microphones and suitable microphones are not on that list.

I doubt buying two SDC omnis is an option but, if it's a one off recording, rental shouldn't be too impossible. You haven't listed a location on your profile but, in the UK, I'd typically expect to spend about £15 per week (say $25) per mic. I certainly would go for two mics--my personal preference would be a coincident pair arrangement but I've head some excellent results from a spaced configuration as well.

I'm not quite as worried as John about the ultra low frequencies. It pains me to say that because, heard live, it's those frequencies you feel rather than hear that make the pipe organ experience special. The trouble is that, in the real world, you'll be hard pressed to find anyone listening on a system that can reproduce the sound anywhere near those frequencies. Alas.

This doesn't mean that John's suggest of small diaphragm omnis is wrong though. These'll give your recording the "air" and "space" that are needed to sound good.

If you have no other option than your list, then I'd agree with the NT1A...but accept it only under protest and with a warning to those in charge that it's far from the idea mic for the job. A little bit spent on renting different mics will make a world of difference.

A last thought--whatever mic(s) you use, allow yourself time to walk slowly around the hall while the organ is being played and listen really critically. Every organ is different but they all tend to have a "sweet spot" where they just sound right--and that's where you need to place your mic(s).

Speaking of an organs' sweet spot .....

The last one I heard was exceptionally good sounding just out side of the hall on the front lawn. Granted it sounded good down the hill on main st. About a half a mile away. ;)

I would try using the NT1 and the Shure MX393, record them to different channels and see what you get, you may find a blend of both mics works as well. What model Apogee mic is it? Apogee make very good equipment.

Alan.

Back