Best mic for recording SFX

hanskroll

Hello!

I'm looking for a microphone best for recording sound effects.

What I want to record:
- SFX (lighting a match, breaking glass, balloon, etc)
- Vehicles (train, car engine, etc)
- Nature (birds, thunder, rain)
- Foley

Environment:
- Indoor (different small/medium rooms)
- Outdoor (forest, city)

Specifications:
- very low noise level
- fast transient response
- flat frequency response
- cardioid
- small diaphragm

Microphones I got my eyes on:
- Rode NTG3
- Sennheiser MKE600
- Rode NT5
- Neumann KM184

Budget:
around €500,-

Already own:
- Zoom H4n
- RME Babyface

I know I won't probably meet all my requirements in only one microphone, but I'd like to have one that matches most of these. If you have more suggestions for different sounds, please let me know!

Sincerely,

Hans Kroll

Last edited:
I would have recommended a Sennheiser K3U/ME80, it has now been replaced by a ME66, or have a look at the MKH60 or the MKH70 depending on what you want. The old ME80 is/was used a lot for film work and outside broadcast, interviews etc.

I have several ME80 mics and they are very useful for recording almost anything. Very natural sound low low noise, and have an internal battery or can use phantom.

Alan.

I just use a Zoom H4N and get excellent results. You can plug in what ever mic you want as well as it has to phantom powered inputs as well as the built in mic

Zoom_H4N_H4n_Handy_Mobile_4_Track_600761.jpg

I recorded this with it

[video]https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&feature=vm&video_id=tgluKXOxh6U[/video]

I've got an H4n and it is indeed a great little device. However if you're going to use an external mic and demand low noise level (which is obviosly extremely important when capturing ambient sounds), I would recommend getting an external preamp for your H4n. The preamps are pretty noisy at higher levels. I use an RME Quadmic with mine and the difference is very obvious. Also, I don't think the built-in condenser microphones are any good compared to the ones OP is mentioning.

As for mic choice, I have no idea. I did have a couple of KM184 (was forced to sell for travel money) through which I recorded acoustic guitar. They are very natural and accurate. I never tried them for anything else though, so you are better off following the other guys advice.

I've got an H4n and it is indeed a great little device. However if you're going to use an external mic and demand low noise level (which is obviosly extremely important when capturing ambient sounds), I would recommend getting an external preamp for your H4n. The preamps are pretty noisy at higher levels. I use an RME Quadmic with mine and the difference is very obvious. Also, I don't think the built-in condenser microphones are any good compared to the ones OP is mentioning.

As for mic choice, I have no idea. I did have a couple of KM184 (was forced to sell for travel money) through which I recorded acoustic guitar. They are very natural and accurate. I never tried them for anything else though, so you are better off following the other guys advice.

I fully agree. I was more less trying to suggest an interface for the mics in the field. I guess more info is required such as ... how do you (OP) plan to power all the gear? The mic selection is IMO the easy part. It is the rest of the chain that would be difficult if your need to hump it up Mt Everest or something

Hello! Thank you all very much for your replies, really appreciated. Here is some more info.

I own the Zoom H4n, and am very well aware of the crappy pre-amps of the device. So I still have to look into a better pre-amp to hook up the Zoom H4n with. This is only for outdoor recording. At home, I got an RME Babyface for indoor recording.

But these things (recorder, pre-amps) are actually another discussion. At this point I am just concentrating on the best mic for my budget. And to be more specific, I'd rather be recording solo sounds than environmental ambient sounds.

Again, thx very much! Hope to hear more suggestions!

try the new rode m5 mics, I think they would be excellent and are relatively flat, even flatter frequency response to the rode nt5's and nt55 mics and there would be very little difference in quality. To get much better sound I would get the neumanns but they are not cheap! and there might not be a huge difference.

Back