Best Mic For Home Recording

Best mic and home recording. Thinking about this, I'm now wondering if either of these make any sense. We've got responses from SM57 to a tweaked esoteric and somewhat audiophile FrankenNeumann. Home recording worries me...

That makes two of us, Rob.

I use six Behringer B5's. Economical, versatile and if they break you just get another one. They're cheap. I've got a number of 'better' mics and we've done numerous blind tests with people who have good ears. Nobody was able to consistently recognize either the Behringer vs a Neumann or an AKG C12; 451 or other much rumoured mic. We've even included recoridings with my old wooden AKG. A consumer mic. Sure, it sounds different. But with careful placement and on the right voice or instrument, it sounds great.

The Shure SM7b is a nice sounding mic. But it is very expensive for what it is. Low output requires a very good mic preamp. Something a beginning HR can't afford.

And, FWIW, most opera singers are being recorder with an omni SDC from DPA. Singing from a meter distance to the mic. Quite the opposite of what's the habit with rock.

i'd say there's no golden recipe. In stead, learn how to place a mic. that's far more important than buying the "right" mic. And treat your recording room, or find a nice sounding room.

Hi. For me, in my room, I really like my Heil PR40 (SM7/EV RE style broadcast mic) into a my LA610 for shouting/"singing" rock/metal :cool:
All the best.

It’s a bit more $$ but it’s good mic for no more than it costs. Rode NTV tube mic used $499.00 I’ve been in the studio and seen a U47 swapped out, and a NTV replaced it. It all depends on what fits your voice best. For some a SM7b is perfect, my voice is not suited for the SM7b . So imho there is no such thing as a best mic. There are different mic styles you should look at, and see which one works best for your voice. Edit: read the posts above. I do agree, a behringer Mic can produce pro results in the right hands,

Last edited:
It’s a bit more $$ but it’s good mic for no more than it costs. Rode NTV tube mic used $499.00 I’ve been in the studio and seen a U47 swapped out, and a NTV replaced it. It all depends on what fits your voice best. For some a SM7b is perfect, my voice is not suited for the SM7b . So imho there is no such thing as a best mic. There are different mic styles you should look at, and see which one works best for your voice. Edit: read the posts above. I do agree, a behringer Mic can produce pro results in the right hands,

What makes me wonder about this comment is why?

I have seen and heard recordings of women and men using the SM7b.

I personally have recorded weak female singers and loud overly confident male singers. The mic just works well in every situation for me. The preamp used may be the key.

I have found some mics obviously work better than others in some situations - usually in regards to drums or acoustic guitars.

But in my limited experience with other mic's in a well treated room, I have never had a voice that the SM7b was the wrong choice in my studio. It just works for me and my clients. Yay me! lol

I hope not to sound like I am promoting the mic, but if it doesn't work for you, then it seems to me there is something missing in your setup/acoustic treatment, or gain staging.

In small home recording rooms, a dynamic mic is IMO best suited for vocals. I have tried many condenser mics, and found them to be much harder to capture a vocal and place well in mix without subsequent de-essing and muting breaths. Condensers just seem to cause more problems than benefits when it comes to vocals.

Would never use a SM7b or a SM58/57 for acoustic guitar, but that is a totally different animal...

I am now done ranting. :)

What makes me wonder about this comment is why?

I have seen and heard recordings of women and men using the SM7b.

I personally have recorded weak female singers and loud overly confident male singers. The mic just works well in every situation for me. The preamp used may be the key.

I have found some mics obviously work better than others in some situations - usually in regards to drums or acoustic guitars.

But in my limited experience with other mic's in a well treated room, I have never had a voice that the SM7b was the wrong choice in my studio. It just works for me and my clients. Yay me! lol

I hope not to sound like I am promoting the mic, but if it doesn't work for you, then it seems to me there is something missing in your setup/acoustic treatment, or gain staging.

In small home recording rooms, a dynamic mic is IMO best suited for vocals. I have tried many condenser mics, and found them to be much harder to capture a vocal and place well in mix without subsequent de-essing and muting breaths. Condensers just seem to cause more problems than benefits when it comes to vocals.

Would never use a SM7b or a SM58/57 for acoustic guitar, but that is a totally different animal...

I am now done ranting. :)

Wow, you mistake me, I’m not bashing the SM7b. It should be a given in every mic locker, and should be the first mic you grab ( especially if it’s an untreated room). My chain is decent, Avedis MA5- into Black Lion modded HD192, or the old English made Soundcraft board, or the new Midas digital mixer. I also use a BAE 1073 ( borrowed) . Maybe I didn’t word that right, you seem to be really upset over the statement I made. I stand by it though. I’d lose clients if I insisted every singer runs through an SM7b.

Wow, you mistake me, I’m not bashing the SM7b. It should be a given in every mic locker, and should be the first mic you grab ( especially if it’s an untreated room). My chain is decent, Avedis MA5- into Black Lion modded HD192, or the old English made Soundcraft board, or the new Midas digital mixer. I also use a BAE 1073 ( borrowed) . Maybe I didn’t word that right, you seem to be really upset over the statement I made. I stand by it though. I’d lose clients if I insisted every singer runs through an SM7b.

Not upset at all. Did not mean for it to come across that way.

Cheers! :guitar:

the best mic for home recording is a neumann U47 FET

Please explain why and how that works in an untreated environment in a typically small room home recording space?

That does not sound like a good choice for a beginner who has not treated the room. Actually, I wonder why the mic is so overpriced for what I have heard from it. Seems like some think throwing money fixes things.

That is likely a great mic, but for home studio? Maybe a second mortgage only to find you need room treatment and a great interface to make the expense give you 5% of quality? I call bullshit on your post man.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Sorry but that was really dick-ish of you to post.

Prove me wrong and loan me your U47 for three weeks. I will test it and ship it back in perfect form.

Please explain why and how that works in an untreated environment in a typically small room home recording space?

That does not sound like a good choice for a beginner who has not treated the room. Actually, I wonder why the mic is so overpriced for what I have heard from it. Seems like some think throwing money fixes things.

That is likely a great mic, but for home studio? Maybe a second mortgage only to find you need room treatment and a great interface to make the expense give you 5% of quality? I call bullshit on your post man.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Sorry but that was really dick-ish of you to post.

Prove me wrong and loan me your U47 for three weeks. I will test it and ship it back in perfect form.

:wtf:

I ordered one of these recently but the Buyer stopped shipment and refunded me. NTV was a short run mic, jensen transformers and high end parts...$1200 new 1999. Became the NTK I think... Cardiod. Ive got one in the cart today for $265 now, Very Good condition. I'll try it again on the NTV.

Its a 14mv/pa mic, like the SHure 27KSM, and thats a decent output; not too much sensitivity like 28mv/pa mics, but 14 (-37db) and works well with about any interface preamp gain.....some room acoustic effort is required it seems and isnt as good as a SM7b or SM58 for a noisy room.
Im not a screamer and even the playing of acoustic guitar is pretty weak/quiet so 14mv/pa is pretty centered.

With a voice like that, you could sing into cups in a string and it would sound great. There is no “best mic” for anything, but Audio Technica 2000 or 4000 series are great values.

Sterling makes some exceptional mics at a good price point, Sennheiser has come out with some studio condensers as well....and reasonably priced... i agree try out the RODE NT1 as well... and an often overlooked line is CAD they make some good mid to upper level mics as well... stay away from the lower priced ones...have a songwriting friend in Nashville that swears by His Trion made by CAD switching from a Neumann :listeningmusic::guitar:

and an often overlooked line is CAD they make some good mid to upper level mics as well... stay away from the lower priced ones...have a songwriting friend in Nashville that swears by His Trion made by CAD switching from a Neumann :listeningmusic::guitar:

I bought a Tron 8000 valve mic from ebay very cheap, here in Australia nobody seems to know about CAD, it's a great mic and I often use it on vocals now.

Alan.

Sir, I don't know much about your MXL but I have several mics and for clarity and presence I don't believe you can do better than a BLUE YETI. It is a large diaphragm mic. If you keep you master Lvls below zero VUe and your mic 5 feet away from your other recording gear and mic distance about 6 to 8 in'' away from your mouth and sing your heart out, I believe you will have a winning combination. You can buy more expensive mics but the quality here is hard to beat. I think BLUE has a complete recording package going now for about $150. but you can probably pick up a used one for a lot less . I wish you the best. GOD BLESS & Merry Christmas.

Tip of the week: Tascam TM80. Doesn't sell well, so it's dirt cheap.

Of course, Tascam doesn't make mics. But they've sourced this one well. It's a Chinese mic, obviously and it isn't even a real LDC, at 18 mm. But it's very nice. I picked up two of those recently.

I have personally used several microphones when recording, but one of my favorites is the AKG Vocal condenser mic. It is affordable, and the quality is above average. I have a couple of songs out there that have had a pretty good response from the crowds. If you want to increase the quality then id also recommend getting the pop filter with it. I believe you can get the mic, the filter, and a cable as a bundle on amazon.

-AKG Vocal Condenser Microphone, Black, 6.00 x 8.00 x 12.00 (3101H00420)

-AKG Project Studio P220 Large Diaphragm Condenser Microphone with Pop Filter and XLR to XLR Cable

Back